Quantcast

Aerial Spraying: What AGL?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aerowerx

The state is doing their aerial spraying in my area for Gypsy Moths.

A few minutes ago one (the plane, not the moth:)) flew directly overhead. Anyone know what altitude they fly at?

Oh, how I love the sound of that engine!

Aerowerx

It is not crop dusting a field, but spraying over a wide area. I guess that each run is 3 or 4 miles.

Since there are cell phone towers(150ft??) in the area they would have to be at least that high.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I live on the east side of the Ohio river in WV and it was on the local radio station saying they will be flying about 100' high. I don't believe they will be flying that low unless its over the flat Ohio terrain.
Helicopters were flying out of our field doing the tree power line right-a-way sawing for several months a couple years ago. One flying job I wouldn't want.

I did do the flying for the marijuana crop searches for many years ( interesting job) and then the National Guard started to doing more of it each year in their Helicopters. They used our field for the nurse tanker trucks.

Last edited:

D Hillberg

We were lifting an AC unit at a local SoCal golf course -120 foot long line hanging down with a one hundred foot antenna sticking up next to the curb -
Clear over the right, Look down 'AC on the spot' then looked up to the right and I saw no one in the cockpit going straight and level on course & heading our way (WTF?) His shadow passed over us, a Beech 18 bug bomber . . .
15 feet over the top of the Sikorsky, diapers anyone?..

TFF

As low as they can. I know one who would ski the wheels in the flooded rice fields. Have to learn to fly under power lines when you can. Small fields are the hardest. A friend’s uncle sliced about six feet off his wing with an antenna guy wire.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Since there are cell phone towers(150ft??) in the area they would have to be at least that high.
It's very apparent that you've never crop dusted before.....lol
My cousins,in Missouri,ran a crop dusting business for many years.
I've seen those guys knife edge between trees with the wingtip only a foot or two off the ground.
I've seen them limbo under powerlines then do a hard pull up and hammerhead at the top and come back down to limbo under the same wires for the next pass.
I've also seen them have to swerve to miss cars that didn't stop for them to cross the road.

And as much of an adrenalin junky as I am.....the many times that they've asked me if I wanted a ride.....my reply has always been the same....."NAH,IM GOOD."
I figured that the Guardian Angel had its hands full with the pilot for the day....I didn't want to push my luck by giving it another fool to keep track of.....lol

If you really want to hear some stories.....grab a cold 12 pack and find the boys after the day is done and set around listening to them.
I promise that at some point you're either going to say out loud or at least mouth "wtf" while listening......

Kevin

Aerowerx

Just to make it clear. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT CROP DUSTING A FARM FIELD.

I am talking about spraying insecticide over a large area. Pops got it right.

I am talking about this kind of gypsy moth, responsible for destroying thousands of acres of forest:
1592961390177.png

They started in 1888 in Massachusetts, and have now spread to about 16 states in the north eastern USA. Unless you live in this area, you may have never heard of the problem. For the past few years the Ohio Department of Agriculture has conducted aerial spraying in an attempt to stop them.

Since they are trying to protect the trees, there is no point in flying lower than tree top level anyway.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member

I am talking about this kind of gypsy moth, responsible for destroying thousands of acres of forest:
View attachment 98462

They started in 1888 in Massachusetts, and have now spread to about 16 states in the north eastern USA. Unless you live in this area, you may have never heard of the problem. For the past few years the Ohio Department of Agriculture has conducted aerial spraying in an attempt to stop them.

Since they are trying to protect the trees, there is no point in flying lower than tree top level anyway.

You can't bring any firewood from Ohio into WV without a permit. I have a wood stove in my hanger just for winter napping on the couch :) I get a truck load of oak 4"x4" and 6"x 14" cutoffs from a mill on the Ohio side of the river. Since there is no bark on the wood, and it kiln dried, they can write me a pass to bring the wood into WV.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member

No...I understood what you were describing just fine...no need to shout. 😁
While application methods will vary....spraying is spraying for the most part.
I understand that you were talking about a wide spread application but you have to consider the fact that they aren't spraying Agent Orange and the particular chemical that they are spraying may not bode too well with the farmers crops or the local water supply.......therefore.....they are going to get low on passes to compensate for coverage from the nozzles and wind drift.
Spraying is a very exact science now days with the use of computers & GPS.......but even so.....those pilots have nads that clank when they walk.
Call any insurance company and ask them what a policy runs those guys due to a very short life expectancy......

Btw.......I have family in Columbus & Lancaster.....I'm well aware of the issue.

Kevin

TFF

I know someone with an Aztec Set up for spraying. Mostly sketers. AGL and ATL(above tree level) has about the same danger. Probably the tree spaying is more dangerous , as at least that Aztec does it at night.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
No...I understood what you were describing just fine...no need to shout. 😁
While application methods will vary....spraying is spraying for the most part.
I understand that you were talking about a wide spread application but you have to consider the fact that they aren't spraying Agent Orange and the particular chemical that they are spraying may not bode too well with the farmers crops or the local water supply.......therefore.....they are going to get low on passes to compensate for coverage from the nozzles and wind drift.
Spraying is a very exact science now days with the use of computers & GPS.......but even so.....those pilots have nads that clank when they walk.
Call any insurance company and ask them what a policy runs those guys due to a very short life expectancy......

Btw.......I have family in Columbus & Lancaster.....I'm well aware of the issue.

Kevin
Back 30 years ago, I had a commercial insurance policy for low level flying and about anything you would want to do with an airplane and it wasn't to bad at the time. Also I made the local FSDO office aware of the job I was doing. Never any problems. Lots of leave way when doing Gov contracts.

One of the craziest jobs, Farmer called and said he needed a picture down in a hand dug water well. Thinks renters are raising drugs and will not let him on the property and threatens him with a gun. Thinks they are throwing trash in the water well. If we could get a picture, he would have no problem getting them off the land. High noon, high speed run, pull up, with a hammer head revolving on a wing tip over the well. No doors on the airplane. We got the picture.

Last edited:

Dennis K

As much as I love the idea of the thrill of flying low to the ground barn swallows and dragonflies eat their weight in mosquitoes during the day while bats do the same at night without killing every other mosquito predator out there. Dragonflies can take up to a year to hatch a new crop, spiders that long too but new batches of mosquitoes hatch out just about every week. So yeah, spray for the moths IF IT WORKS but from what I've seen mosquito spraying ain't too successful unless done every day for at least a week or two. Then a week later everybody down wind can't go outside because the mosquitoes are now worse than ever. Does it work? There's a pond in the hills above New Hope, PA where you can hang on the fence and watch the mosquitoes hatching and never get bit once. The place is alive with dragon and damselflies patrolling the pond that pick off the little bastards as soon as they come off the water. I flyfish in a swampy spot of the Tylor River here in NH for bass that's also loaded with both mosquitoes and dragonflies. They land all over the canoe and pick off the bugs as they emerge just the way it's supposed to work. I attract them and they eat them.

gtae07

We have a mosquito control agency in our county that flies MD500 NOTARs, some turbine cropdusters, and a fast twin or two, depending on where you are. The helos come over our house maybe 150ft up. I’ve seen the twin a little further out from KSAV at maybe 200-250ft, hauling butt. Looks fun as hell but I’d probably be sucking the seat cushion up at the same time.

If you hear them coming you best get indoors and stay there a few minutes after they pass. It stings your eyes and nose bad (got caught outside once...).

Daleandee

Not so many years ago I was doing ultralight training at the airport and the guys showed up (they were in and out several times a year) to fertilize some trees nearby. As we talked I asked where they would be and mentioned that we were about to go up and do some ground reference maneuvers in the practice area ... those things we do at 6-800'. He looked at me and said, "not a problem ... we never get that high."

When we were up I could see them in the distance and it appeared they were right on the top of the 80' trees they were treating with fertilizer.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
without killing every other mosquito predator out there.
Totally off topic but may be of interest to others with 'skeeter problems:
Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis
Works as advertised on our little back yard pond. Being a spore forming bacillus makes it pretty resiliant unless I clean the pond and refill with chloramine treated city water.