• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Advice on quick & simple construction method for a "low AR" wing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviterande

Hi all, I know I am not a very active member here. Usually Im very busy designing, experimenting, testing and flying RC models to validate/invalidate full scale designs/ideas. It can honestly be very daunting... as 97% of models/experiments, time, money energy is wasted to find a "working idea".

Done a few more RC model tests of various planforms (circular, delta, bixel, double delta, zimmerman etc) The inverse zimmerman handled pretty well. Now that the pinkfoam 1/3rd scale model is finished. Im closer to the fullscale stage and I would highly appreciate inputs / advice about relatively quick & simple construction methods for "deep chords" of a low AR wing.

Rough dimensions of the fullscale:

-inverse zimmerman shape (AR 1 - 1.5) (similar to but not exactly a Facetmobile planform)
-4m x 4m (13.2ft x 13.2ft)
Airfoil thickness around 10-12%
-High wing configuration
-Fuselage-hull under the wing
-Tractor upfront propeller

Any ideas on simple construction methods, maybe simpler deep chord ribs? Most aircraft kits include machined alu ribs and other parts that I cant do in my garage.
I tried fullscale aluminium tube/gusset riveting of giant 16ft ribs and it was very time consuming(maybe its me who is doing it wrong?). Foam ribs however seems like a quicker simpler method but are they better/suited for this deep chord low AR wing situation?

Alternatives:
1-
Aluminium ribs (square tube + gusset)+ fabric
2-wooden stick ribs + fabric
3-Foamribs + glassed foam spars + fabric
other better ways?(full composite skin? Rutan full core but may be heavy?)

1- Pros: Have experience in that. Strong, not heavy, proven method, easy to incorporating hard points(engine mount, elevons, fuse etc.)
Cons: very time consuming in my experience, specially making/drilling/attaching the gussets but maybe Im doing it wrong? Maybe I can use angled flat plates instead of square tube+gusset. Then just rivet the angled flat plates to form the ribs?

2- Like nr 1 but perhaps quicker build due to lesser work around gussets: just glue the wooden gusset to the wooden sticks? or are there any big disadvantages here. David Rowes' ufo ribs are made out of timber but not a lot of info can be found.

3-Pros: potentially very quick build. No need to construct the actual ribs/spars or gusseting. Just hotwire, glue the foam ribs/spars and glass the top/ bottom. Or and add a thin plywood strip on top/ bottom. (maybe also inbed alu. tubes inside for strength and hardpoints attachments) Is this really easier than 1 and 2?
Cons: not straightforward to attach hardpoints like the engine mount and fuse. Is this the deal breaker of foam building?

I apologize for sounding very confused.
Your input is very appreciated!

Attachments

• low ar boat.jpg
    low ar boat.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 76
Back