• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Adventures in Cub building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to avoid a "project thread" type of situation on here but still wanted to participate in either helping others or getting help myself. I thought about this quite a bit and figured I'd do this a little different.

This thread is for my J3 Cub replica but I'm only gonna post the challenges I face and how I worked out overcoming those challenges. So no updates, no glamour shot, nothing of the sort. The only posts here will be "here is my challenge" and "here is my attempt at solving them".

Hopefully people will chime in to assist and hopefully some will just read it and feel inspired to start.

Challenge #1

We built a rib jig from an old board, sanded it smooth and flat, waxed it with carnuba car wax and used scrap materials I had on hand to make the parts. The template is a sheet of scrap .050" aluminum. I guess you could say the Cub replica started on Christmas Eve 2018.

I'm at a stopping point on my jig, challenge #1, making nose ribs.

I sold the router table to make room for other equipment. All I have is a portable router. I made a aluminum airfoil template thinking it will help me make parts as a router template.

So that's my first challenge in the project, I need to figure out how to fashion together a quick router table that I can toss out when done. Here are some photos of where I stopped, the potential router template and the drawing showing what I need. If I can figure out how to make a cheap and quick router table I can finish up my jig and make parts and move on to the next challenge.

IMG_20181223_192240681.jpg

IMG_20181223_192220849.jpg

IMG_20181224_174037088.jpg

IMG_20181224_174144556.jpg

IMG_20181224_174152763.jpg

Merry Christmas.

Back