Advancing the cam and distributor ??s

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

oldcrow

I am building a 1/2 VW engine, and want all my power to come in at or around 3600 rpm or less. I know that on my distributor i can change the weights (mechanical) so that it comes full advance early or late depending on where you want your power band. also i have an adjustable cam gear to do the same with my cam timing.
so for those who know about engine performance do i advance my cam an go lighter weights on the distributor so that my power band is in the lower rpm range or do i have it all backwards.
thanks, Ken

oldcrow

thank you for the read Mcmark. i found a low duration cam with a higher than stock lift, so with advancing the cam pull my hp down and will make the engine more "torquey" all the way to my max rpm range. Lighter springs in the dist. will have my advance come full in at 2400rpm. when i mock up my engine i just have to make sure i have exhaust valve clearance for the cam advancement.

pictsidhe

I am building a 1/2 VW engine, and want all my power to come in at or around 3600 rpm or less. I know that on my distributor i can change the weights (mechanical) so that it comes full advance early or late depending on where you want your power band. also i have an adjustable cam gear to do the same with my cam timing.
so for those who know about engine performance do i advance my cam an go lighter weights on the distributor so that my power band is in the lower rpm range or do i have it all backwards.
thanks, Ken
You'll need to experiment. Move the cam around and see what gives the best rpm on the prop. Ignition timing will have an optimum too. You may need to retard a little if you get more power from the cam phasing. Don't bother changing dizzy weights, it takes a lot of effort to map and tweak an advance curve. When messing with timings, be careful to avoid detonation from too much advance.

Pops

Log Member
After all of your testing you will find that for swing a straight drive prop, the stock VW cam and cam timing is hard to beat.

oldcrow

thanks for the input guys, i think i'll just stick to a stock distributor, mech. advance, but with electronic ignition (the mds dist. was in 300$$ range too much for little difference)
as for the "bigfoot cam" it is just a little over stock duration but a noticeable lift.
for those interested ---> link---> https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2209.htm

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Do what the early Flatheads did... Adjust the timing manually, but add a vacuum gauge to monitor power.

Group Builder