ADS-B and Part 103

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by proppastie, Nov 30, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 14, 2018 #41

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Drone rules don't apply to ultralights either. So I doubt you can use a drone unit legally.
    Might need to stay below 400 feet with the drones while using a drone transmitter. In that case the aircraft are not below 400 feet much anyway. Unfortunately, might not be anybody that cares about ultralights and ads-b

2. Dec 14, 2018 #42

BJC

BJC

BJC

That may well end up being fortunate for ultralight operators.

BJC

3. Dec 14, 2018 #43

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The airlines and some in the drone industry want all RC models (RC models are classed as drones now) to have ads-b. It almost seems inevitable that everything above a certain size will be tracked in some way.

4. Dec 15, 2018 #44

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

I checked on this extensively earlier this year. In transponders and ADS-B, your N-number is your legal radio callsign under the FCC's Part 15 rules, and you're required to have a callsign.

The EAA ultralight folks tried to tell me I could register an ultralight with them and use that registration number. The FAA told me that will not be legal, and that there is currently no legal way to use ADS-B in Part 103.

As to why anyone would want ADS-B on an ultralight, think ahead ten years. When Amazon, Domino's and hundreds of other companies are using drones for deliveries, their assumption will be that the airspace around your favorite dry lake or farm field is completely uninhabited below 400' AGL. They won't be looking for you, and would have no way to see you if they were. A collision with a drone capable of delivering a pizza will be lethal.

When they solve the issue of ADS-B-out for drones, I would expect the same hardware to work for 103, and it will eventually get cheap. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen until a few Part 103 operators are killed.

proppastie likes this.
  5. Dec 16, 2018 #45

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Do you have that in writing from the FAA, Does the EAA have what they say in writing?

My issue in the airspace I plan to operate in is being run over by a certified aircraft.

6. Dec 16, 2018 #46

lr27

lr27

lr27

Maybe if the part 103 pilots start stealing the pizzas, a part 103 ADS-B "solution" would emerge quickly. ;-)

7. Dec 18, 2018 #47

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Drone-jacking. High tech porch piracy. Hmmm, a kevlar net?

8. Dec 19, 2018 #48

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

The EAA didn't offer any source to back up their suggestion, and I didn't pursue it because the FAA was pretty clear. I just looked back, and apparently I didn't save either e-mail. But ADS-B-out transmitters/transponders require your N-number or FAA-assigned Mode-S number when they're being programmed for your aircraft, and an ultralight has neither.

If someone tells you they have a legal way to do it, ask them for chapter and verse!

As for getting run over by certified aircraft, I share your concern. That will be an issue even for small certified aircraft without electrical systems flying anywhere in Class E or G.

9. Dec 20, 2018 #49

harrisonaero

harrisonaero

harrisonaero

What's the latest on the cheapest ADS-B out available? More availability with prices coming down as deadline approaches?

10. Dec 20, 2018 #50

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I think the cheapest is the Skybeacon, still about $1800, the drone one mentioned earlier was over $2000.

11. Dec 20, 2018 #51

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

A GDL 82 is the same price on the street as a Skybeacon, maybe even a few $$$ less. Have to have a good transponder and antenna for a GDL 82 installation or add the cost of those to the cost. A Skybeacon has a built in antenna.

12. Dec 21, 2018 #52

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie