• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Adjustable pitch prop ...what pitch ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kelly

Howdy all !
I have a 2 bladed 60" Warpdrive prop on my Rotex447 with a gear deduction box on it .
.... Strangely enough I seam to have lost my paper on the recomended pitch setting... or simply never had one to begin with .... the instructions that came with the prop say when you find the pitch adjustment you want ...adjust it by doing so and so ..... not too helpfull when trying to set the pitch to match the engine !
I have had the pitch adjusted at 20 degrees to the frame .... and found that the engine can't pull it any faster than 4000 RPM on the tach... I just reduced the pitch to 18 degrees and it now tops out at 4500rpm...
... Now its got me wondering if i should shoot for 6000rpm or a tad less
( max hp is arround 6500rpm i think)
there are advantages and disadvantages to having a steep pitch or a shallow pitch ... at this high altitude I am more concerned with the rate if climb of my gyro so that is why I have been setting it on the steep side....
but how steep is too steep ?.... anyone got an answer for that ?
thank you !

Bob.....

Back