Adding starter to Global 1/2 VW?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I have a Global 1/2 VW and I was wondering how difficult it would be to add a starter. I haven't pulled it apart, but I didn't see any provisions for one. I've tried looking up pictures, but couldn't find any of the starter mechanism. Hummel engines sells a starter/generator kit, but there's no details.

Does anyone sell a starter that isn't a generator, too? I'd like to not have an engine driven electrical system so I can fly in Mode C veils under the class B without a transponder (or ADS-B).

Since the prop won't windmill if fuel gets cut off (in case of negative G), I'd just like to have a way to restart in the air if needed, or possibly an inverted fuel system. I would almost include inverted oil because the engine only holds 1.5 quarts and it doesn't seem like it would take long to lose enough to matter, but those are quite expensive and I've not seen any for a 1/2VW. I could probably machine one, they aren't that complicated.

I'm not planning any -G aerobatics, or anything beyond the occasional roll, but I'd like the safety margin anyway.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to add a ring gear sandwiched on the prop flange, and then work up a starter mount bracket. The inability of the engine to windmill is something that worried me too when I had my Fisher.

Dana

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to add a ring gear sandwiched on the prop flange, and then work up a starter mount bracket. The inability of the engine to windmill is something that worried me too when I had my Fisher.

Dana
Would I sandwich it between the prop and the flange, or would I have to take the prop flange off the crank?

TFF

Lycoming sandwiches the flywheel between the prop and flange. Cut case or full case 1/2 dub? I want to say someone has an accessory case starter for a full VW. You might be able to adapt that. You might be able to adapter something like here http://dawnpatrol.org/questions.htm. I have also heard of a drive from an electric drill.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Lycoming sandwiches the flywheel between the prop and flange. Cut case or full case 1/2 dub? I want to say someone has an accessory case starter for a full VW. You might be able to adapt that. You might be able to adapter something like here http://dawnpatrol.org/questions.htm. I have also heard of a drive from an electric drill.
Cool, that makes things much easier. The Global engine is made from a casting based on a cut case 1/2 VW, the back just has a hole on the back of the case for the magneto, which I've yet to take off and look inside. I don't think I can get a gear back there, but don't know for sure.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the Global is based on a cut case at all, except for the basic dimensions... that thing is tiny, considerably smaller than the Mosler, for example.

Dana

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Scott Casler at Hummel Engines offers a "Front Mount Starter Only Kit" for $375.00 that appears to be for two-cylinder VWs from where it is listed on the price page. He might be a good resource. See https://www.hummelengines.com
I had looked at that exact list, and apparently stopped reading at the item above that on the list. Doh!

Group Builder