• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Adding alierons to a weedhopper wing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantR

This is from the weedhopper group:

Do any of you think its possible to use our stock wing and beef
up the TE tube as well as the out-board end of the wing in some way so that we could retain the stock wing and just ad a full span aileron to it so that we would have the extra control needed for
those cross wind landings???

I know we would have to lower the dihedral to about 1 to 2 degree's but that would be a simple matter and building the ailerons would be simple but in my mind I'm just wondering how much the wing would have to be beefed up to accomplish handling the extra stress of the ailerons on them.

Do any of you think it could be done in such a way that we could keep it simple and retain as much of the stock wing as possible so that anyone could convert their curretn weedhopper at will if we could figure it out???? If we could figure it out to be a SAFE! conversion I'd be more then willing to build the first one and do all the testing and then if it did work fine we could offer the info on the group to anyone wanting to do this ( at their own risk of course as always ) to their own Hopper giving them a larger window of flying time with the Hopper versus only two axis flying.

My biggest concern would be that we do not want to build a whole new wing but just a conversion of sorts to the stock wing. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated unless all of you think its not possible to do with-out building a whole new wing which then makes it un-pratical to do period. Thanks
>

Grant

Back