Adding a Foot of Wing Span to Left and Right Wings in a Piper Super Cub

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Southron, Apr 22, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1

Southron

Southron

Southron

What would be the result of adding 12 Inches to both the Left and Right Wings when building the wing of a Pazmany PL-9 Stork? I figure that it would reduce the wing loading per square foot of wing, slightly increase drag and probably require that the wing spar be strengthened. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

THANKS

2. Apr 22, 2013 #2

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Piper Super Cub or Pazmany PL-9?

In either case, the effect may be small ....but any change has a consequence.
    For example, yaw stability would be less, perhaps a 12" tail extension would help.

But this adds weight, changes the CG..... You get the idea.

3. Apr 22, 2013 #3

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

A much weaker (or much stronger required) wing spar. A few dozen percent easily. A proportionally less effective rudder, more weight etc. In other words, why bother when you have a good plane?

4. Apr 24, 2013 #4

Battson

Battson

Battson

Noticibly shorter takeoff distance and higher gross weight limit are the typical benefits of wing extensions, but you lose airspeed and roll rate - this is based on the many years experience gained from the many options available for wing extensions which available on the open market for GA aircraft, and are widely used....
    Typically this includes strengthening the spar, but no tail mods are necessary, and controls are the same except roll rate is reduced slightly (typically the ailerons are not extended). I have seen it fitted to many models of Cessna, Super Cub, never a PL-9.

5. Apr 25, 2013 #5

Kristoffon

Kristoffon

Kristoffon

The Osprey-II I'm building has an option where the designer allows extension of wingspan by two feet by simply building 2 extra wing ribs and extending the spars. It's not a very similar plane but it should be good to give you an idea of what to expect. You can find specs on the plane here.

According to the designer the spars built in that way are still good for the 4.5G of loading on the original project, but then again they were overbuilt originally.

From the report, flight testing with the same engine and weight at same power setting shows an increase in ROC of 100-150 fpm, stall speed reduced 3-5 mph, top and cruise speeds reduced by 4-5 mph.

FWIW I'm building mine with the original wing.

6. Apr 25, 2013 #6

4trade

4trade

4trade

You probably achieve same amount of lift without extension, if you add flaperon mechanism in your aileron. Super Cub people do it for STOL purposes. Cheaper, lighter and require only small modification in your system.

7. Apr 28, 2013 #7

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Structurally it would be easier & lighter to add 24 in to the width of the center section wing pickups, then you are changing the piece of structure that will see the new higher loads.

8. Apr 29, 2013 #8

Battson

Battson

Battson

The concensus on Super Cub flaperons seems to be they are more dangerous than helpful in anything less than perfect conditions. Not my experience by any means, but those I've spoken to who have experience seem to say the same things. The stall becomes too sharp and unpredictable to fly close to it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  9. Apr 29, 2013 #9

dino

dino

dino

Maybe it could be registered as a motorglider.

Dino

10. Aug 7, 2013 #10

S22 Bushmaster Amphi

S22 Bushmaster Amphi

S22 Bushmaster Amphi

My Super 22 Bushmaster was a PA22 before 5 ft were added to the wingspan, and 23.5 inches added to the aft fuselage, but the wings are not Piper. It does make for a more rudder controlled aircraft that gets off the water a lot better. Additional vertical stabs were added to the tail plane to offset the large vertical surface of the floats in front of the center of lift. VGs were added to the tail feathers to increase control at low speeds. 180 hp CS prop requires 60 gal fuel in wings. DSCF3862.jpg