• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Adding a couple inches in the middle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodwings

I'm considering a Druine Turbi, and some advice given in response to my intro post was to make sure I'd fit before launching into a project. Makes scary sense.

I acquired a set of plans that show the inside width of the rear cockpit as 576mm, or 22.6 inches (the frame behind the cockpit is 610 mm, with a 17 mm longeron on each side). That's about the width of my shoulders. I wouldn't want to be rubbing on the sides, and also would need some more room if wearing a jacket.

My question for those of you with design experience is whether I would be opening an unjustifiably big can of unintended consequences by adding somewhere between two and four inches to the center of the spars and fuselage to create a little more clearance.

I really like this design, but if I couldn't be reasonably comfortable I should keep looking for a design that suits me better.

Thanks.

Back