• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Add resin to hardener, Add hardener to resin, or doesn't matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etterre

I'm guessing that order doesn't matter since I don't recall seeing anything about it... but I figured I'd ask just to be safe.

In chemistry class, I remember being told to always "Add acid to water" because adding water to acid can cause excessing heating and, in the worst case, splatter acid all over the place.

Why do I ask? Well, I was daydreaming about building a "hot box" similar to Bernard Siu's 3rd version (scroll to the bottom of http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/bsiu/Ch3.html) and thinking of ways to "easily" switch between hardeners. Then the thought came: If I'm using a system like MGS 285 where the hardeners can be mixed and I can safely add resin to the hardener, it's just a matter of adding a 3rd bottle and pump to his design. Want medium speed hardener? Then pump out a little of the fast hardener, add a little of the slow hardener, mix, weigh, pump and weigh out the appropriate amount of resin, and mix again.

There has to be a reason this is a bad idea or "somebody would have thought of that already.":whistle:

Back