Quantcast

Add-On Starter for A65 Continental

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Wanttaja

A lot of folks are interested in smaller homebuilts like Pietenpols, Baby Aces, and Fly Babies, but are skittish because the A65 engines used require hand-propping.

A guy in British Columbia is offering bolt-on starter systems for about $1100 US.

I don't have any connection with guy, other than helping him get the word out.
cowling.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Dan Thomas

There's this affair that actually got certified: UltraCruiser - 18v Starter

The problem with electric starters on A-65s is weight. The starter and battery add up. A lot of airplanes powered by A-65s already have small useful loads, and more weight is unwelcome. I had considered designing and building a recoil starter for my Jodel, with a rope and all and a big handle in the cockpit located so one's elbow wouldn't bang on something. All the prop needs is about a third of a turn to get it started, and one would pull gently until the prop was in the right place, then retract the handle and give a good yank. Of course, flooding the engine would required getting out and propping it backwards unless you wanted to wear your arm out. Oh, and a kickback would probably do some serious damage to a lot of stuff. Compromises everywhere.

n3puppy

Sounds like you could use a McDowell safety starter as used on the Aeroncas
Lever in the cockpit attached via cable to a rachet mechanism on the prop hub

Always wanted to put one on my 65hp prewar Chief, but originals were hard to find.
A few years back there were a some folks who were talking about making the parts new
Don't know if they ever followed through (I sold my Chief)

D8D19A41-263E-402C-B6C2-5491B6886A5B.jpeg

Dan Thomas

Sounds like you could use a McDowell safety starter as used on the Aeroncas
Lever in the cockpit attached via cable to a rachet mechanism on the prop hub

Always wanted to put one on my 65hp prewar Chief, but originals were hard to find.
A few years back there were a some folks who were talking about making the parts new
Don't know if they ever followed through (I sold my Chief)

View attachment 100459
That's it. I think I might have read about it a long time ago. The idea isn't original weith me, then.

pilot103

somewhere out there is an article about a guy who used a cordless drill to make a starter for an A65, as I recall he was pleased with it. Back issue of Contact?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've occasionally fantasized about building a pyrotechnic starter similar to the old Coffman staters used in some radial engines (if you've seen Flight of the Phoenix you know what I'm talking about), but using a blank pistol cartridge instead of a 12 gauge shotgun shell...

Wanttaja