Add-on GPS for Foreflight/iPad?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dwalker

I use android tablets with Droid EFB and Avare, for portable adsb I have a uavionix Ping and a stratux adsb reciever

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
*Bluetooh and WiFi are two different wireless methods for digital devices to communicate. WiFi connects the iPad to the internet, while Bluetooth is used to pair the iPad with another device nearby (headphones, printer, scanner, GPS receiver, etc).
Not exactly. WiFi connects a device (iPad, tablet, laptop, whatever) to a WiFi network that may be connected to the internet, but it's also used to connect to other devices (like many action cameras). Bluetooth is usually used to connect portable devices to things like like headphones, etc., but may also be used to "tether" a device to share an internet connection from another device that has internet connectivity.

Aviacs

I continue to appreciate the discussion and learn something new with most posts.
Undoubtedly below basic for most of you guys, but i willfully ignored it for too long because most had no bearing on my life.

I also appreciate the reminder that the the iPad can be used in the C140 as is; and the reassurance that "long termish" it can be quite useful out of that airplane coupled with another relatively inexpensive device.
At this point, Stratux looks like a useful addition for a plane with an alternator, but possibly overkill for the necessary battery power & complication to use in a non-electric. So cost and utility in the Cub would suggest a mere cheap GPS, & keep my head up for traffic. OTOH, there is a lot of appeal to gain weather. When i started flying again this past spring, it seemed to surprise the briefer before every flight that i actually was calling to ask for a verbal weather briefing. :)

I'll keep reviewing this until something external drives a decision.

Oh, and Bad Elf products (among my original questions) are also ruled out since they are iPad specific.

I'll figure out how to download Avare to my phone, and probably have to increase my data plan.

Thanks!
smt

PredragVasic

Not exactly. WiFi connects a device (iPad, tablet, laptop, whatever) to a WiFi network that may be connected to the internet, but it's also used to connect to other devices (like many action cameras). Bluetooth is usually used to connect portable devices to things like like headphones, etc., but may also be used to "tether" a device to share an internet connection from another device that has internet connectivity.
You are correct, but I was trying to avoid confusing and complicating the answer for those who don’t know the difference. You can tether a device to the internet via Bluetooth, or connect two nearby devices via WiFi, but the simpler (and mainly sufficient) answer regarding the distinction is that you use WiFi to connect your mobile device to the internet, and you use Bluetooth to connect to another nearby device, such as headphones, printers or other peripherals.

Aviacs

The price for that stratux "seems" higher than I remember,
Well if you roll your own from their (Crew Dog) kits, it is about 19% less. :)

Add the necessary Raspberry Pi 3B board for aprox $70 = $195

Then it's down to battery pack choice.
The turnkey units include a 6000mAhr rechargeable.

the available kit option battery packs are 10000mAh @ $40
or 20000 @ $60.

So including a slightly upgraded battery pack, aprox 19% savings is possible.
or 12% with a triple capacity upgraded battery pack :)

I'm not sure i completely understand these "portable charger" battery packs, though.
Does the unit they feed require its own internal battery? (for protection, say?)

Questions Re the Stratux that i'm attempting to determine would be: 1.) it is easy to assume the "large" attennae are better than the "regular"? 2.) is the external GPS superior to the internal? (Less convenient, i can see, but maybe better reception???

smt

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not sure i completely understand these "portable charger" battery packs, though.
Does the unit they feed require its own internal battery? (for protection, say?)
Either way. They were originally designed to charge batteries in other devices, but many people use them as portable battery packs to power devices that have no battery, much like the alternator in your car runs stuff and charges the battery. It just needs to right connector (USB in most cases).

Last edited:

Aviacs

Thanks you for that info. I have not yet searched further - don't know what is possible these days.
So they are batteries, with some extra sales verbiage?
smt

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks you for that info. I have not yet searched further - don't know what is possible these days.
So they are batteries, with some extra sales verbiage?
smt
They're a battery with a regulator and other electronics to form a USB power supply, so they can charge or power any device that is charged or powered via USB.

delta

I don't understand if this is applicable to the conversation because it's all geek to me, but I thought I'd include it just in case it was...

Zubair Khan's profile photo

Zubair Khan
unread,
Oct 3
to Apps4Av Forum
Hi all

With Google brining in scoped storage, there is no way for us to keep supporting users ability to store data and charts in their chosen folder or in an SD card.

Next version of Avare will completely remove SD card access. It will also hide all users data and not support it being visible in the Download folder. You will also not be able to store charts anywhere other than in the device
I ran across this awhile ago when trying to piece together this topic.

This change will take effect on Nov 1. Do this to save your data before updating the app in November:

- Update to the latest version 10.0.8.
- Backup the entire folder on your device: Downloads/com.ds.avare.

Instructions on importing the data back will be provided at the app update.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for understanding.

If you are wondering what scoped storage is, please check the Android developers page.

rv7charlie

Storage on a user-installed SD card was essential on many older phones/tablets because many had very limited internal (built-in) storage capacity.

Google has been making it harder and harder for apps to access SD cards in the android operating system in recent years, due to supposed security concerns, and apparently the next android release will make it just about impossible. Fortunately, most devices these days can be purchased with so much built-in storage that the inability to use SD card storage isn't really a problem.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
This is somewhat of a misnomer. Scoped storage does not remove the ability of an app to use the SD card. It just changes the process and places new restrictions on it. All apps will have to use internal storage for core operating and cache files, but will still be able to access external (SD card) storage for data files. The difference is it will have to use the Android operating system to access those files rather than through a direct directory system access, and the app will be limited to a specific directory on the SD card rather than being given access to the entire card. The former has actually been in use for some time now, so it isn't anything new. Unfortunately many developers haven't used it because it's more cumbersome and slow than the old method. But it was optional before, and now it will be mandatory. So basically, SD card access will be slower and more difficult for apps, but it will not be impossible. I suspect that the Avare issue is more complicated than this, and they didn't want to go into great detail on the technical aspects that many people would not understand. Look at it this way. Almost every app out there (aviation or not) has the ability to access SD card files. If that access was going to be completely revoked, we'd be getting notices like this from every android developer in existence. I suspect Avare has a separate data directory on the SD card they're using, and can no longer support an additional directory where the user can also store data files. But that's just a guess on my part. I'm in no way qualified to speak for Avare.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
As others mentioned buying a prebuilt Stratux will be your best bet. I always used a Dual GPS unit and did not have ADSB in and flew with ADSB in for the first time this weekend on a trip to Lone Pine. It was amazing to see all the traffic along the route. Also it was a bush flyin with teaching groups and I could look and see where each group was which would be cool to use to join up on friends. In fact my friend took off about 15 min before me in a tripacer and I used ADSB to find him and caught up to him about 45 min into the flight and we flew into lonepine as a group of two. That would have been tough to do without ADSB as we were talking to each other and could not see each other until we were very close.

If you want an upgrade on a Stratux, have a look at the Levil Aviation BOM which also gives you an AHRS and Pitostatic driven AOA and redundant instruments. Pretty cool little device but pricey. Yet half the cost of adding a dedicated AOA to your plane and I can move this from one plane to another and get AOA on all planes I fly. And you get much more capability than just AOA and ADSB.

IMG_7664.jpg

SheepdogRD

HBA Supporter
One software alternative I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is iFlyGPS (www.iflygps.com). It's a FF/WingX/Garmin competitor that works on iPad, Android and Windows. I'm a new user, but, so far, I like it.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
One software alternative I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is iFlyGPS (www.iflygps.com). It's a FF/WingX/Garmin competitor that works on iPad, Android and Windows. I'm a new user, but, so far, I like it.
I was recommended to Iflygps from Levil Aviation since it is fully compatible with the pitotsatic system on the Levil BOM. I may try it as I am unhappy with Flyq as of late.

Does Ifly GPS have a final glide ring for emergencies? Weight and Balance?

SheepdogRD

HBA Supporter
All my experience with iFlyGPS has been at the desk, thus far, just getting used to the interface. I plan to use it with a Garmin GLO GPS in the truck to see how the moving map works.
Does Ifly GPS have a final glide ring for emergencies? Weight and Balance?
What I see to date is that it does have Nearest Airport, but not the final glide ring. It doesn't have W&B, yet.