Acro sport or Acro duster?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

djschwartz

Are they the same plane? Thoughts?
Sharing only what I've heard from talking to owners or pilots of these, I have not flown either myself: If you're comparing the two-seaters, the Acroduster can handle, and generally needs, more horsepower than the Acrosport. The 'duster is a somewhat more capable aerobatic mount that the 'sport; but, neither one comes close to a Pitts. Both are easier to handle on the ground than a Pitts or Christen Eagle (which is really just a spiffed up Pitts) with the Acrosport being the most docile.

This single seat Acroduster was never very successful. The early version had an aluminum fuselage and had structural problems. later versions had a conventional steel tube fuselage. Again, it was inferior to a Pitts S1 so the pilots who were genuinely interested in a single seat aerobatic mount where not interested in the 'duster. The single seat Acrosport was never intended to be a competitor to the Pitts. It was more of a sport plane in the realm of a Smith Miniplane, fun to fly and well capable of basic aerobatics; but, not a real aerobatic competitor.

Don't know if either one has an active builder community at this time. Brief web searches show little activity after the early 2000's. These designs had their peak in popularity in the 70's and 80's. Aircraft Spruce does still sell "kits" for them but those "kits" are nothing like what you get for a modern homebuilt. They're basically a stack of materials with a few parts, like spars, milled for you.

Dave

TFF

Acroduster is an offshoot of the Starduster. Both in Single and two seat. The AcroSport biplane is a Paul Poberezny design as an advancement of the EAA biplane. AcroSport Biplanes come in one and two seats. Depends on what type of plane you want. I have a single seat Starduster I am rebuilding, and have had AcroSport 1 plans since the early 90s. Lots of info on the Biplane Forum.

kudo

No, not even close to being the same. Which one are you favoring?

I was looking at two place aerobatic planes that could be capable, not necessarily competitively, of participating in beginner and sportsman that were more affordable than an s-2. From what I've seen, single seaters aren't bad but 2 place aerobatics are an expensive combination.

TFF

Any of those planes should handle sportsman. The question is passenger weights and if you plan to practice with two aboard. I think the Skybolt would be my top pick if comp aerobatics was what I was after. I think I would pick the AcroSport 2 as my next choice although it does not have a symetrical airfoil. Next I would go with the Starduster Too and probably the Acroduster last. The Acroduster should be more capable than the last two but some of the modifications away from the Starduster seem not to be the best; not too many made. All have owners that love them. Are you building or buying?

Turd Ferguson

From what I've seen, single seaters aren't bad but 2 place aerobatics are an expensive combination.
Yes, they are. A two place plane is larger and needs more power.

I have no direct experience with Acroduster Too's. I do have experience with flying and working on an AcroSport. Because of that, If I was looking to build or buy a flying airplane, I'd lean toward the AcroSport II. There are lots of them around (relatively speaking) so there's plenty of support and experience available for building and flying. Plus, it's comfortable and stable enough to fly as a sport/recreational airplane.

If I wanted something that had 2 seats and was better in aerobatics, it would be a Skybolt hands down.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Yes, there is a difference. The Acro Sport has straight wings, while the Acroduster has the butterfly planform wings and the upper wing is swept (the 'Duster line of biplanes are very attractive). It's been ages since I've been in an Acroduster, so my recollection is foggy at best, but the Acroduster should be more capable than the Acro Sport for aerobatics. There is an active Starduster forum on the Aircraft Spruce site. There is also the Biplane Forum. I've posted links to both below, as well as links to descriptions of each aircraft.

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co :: View Forum - Starduster and Acroduster
Biplane Forum
AIRPLANES AIRCRAFT - ACRODUSTER T00 SA750 from Stolp Starduster
ACRODUSTER TOO SA750 from Aircraft Spruce
ACROSPORT from Aircraft Spruce
ACROSPORT II from Aircraft Spruce

BTW... the Acro Sport derived from the EAA Biplane, not from the Starduster line.

Battson

An Acrosport is presumed to have crashed off the coast of New Zealand in the last few days. They have not found the aircraft nor pilot at this stage, very little information is available.