About Dyke Delta

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by stevetosh, Dec 26, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 26, 2010 #1

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Hi Forum,

Does anybody know a link to builder's log site to this plane, i can only get a link to the yahoo group and i register but still pending for approval.

Please is there any builder here that can shear some experience on this plane or anybody familiar with this plane or anybody flown one before, i read that the plane landing speed is less forgiving in mistakes....how to reduce the landing speed.

Thank you.....

2. Dec 26, 2010 #2

Starman

Starman

Starman

Please use the forum search function

3. Dec 26, 2010 #3

orion

orion

orion

The Dyke Delta has been mentioned numerous times herein but discussed in detail only a few. I think I recall only a couple of threads where the airplane was discussed in any detail but I can't find the specific links. Being a fan of the delta in its various forms, I do know a bit about it. In short, it was a very unique plane for its day, and quite frankly, it's still unique today in that there haven't been too many airplanes of that type introduced to the small plane community. The plane's performance was very good but it did require a bit of specific flight training due to some of its unique characteristics. The unique features were mainly due to the plane's low aspect ratio wing, which is relatively sensitive to angle of attack. As such, the pilot has to be aware of that limitation, especially in climb and low speed maneuvering since if he pitches up too fast or too high the drag build-up could be so significant that the plane would not have sufficient power to continue the climb, or in the case of a banked maneuver, could simply "fall out" of the turn.

But as with most flying wings, you really can't slow down the landing speed beyond that of which the design is currently capable. Yes, you can try to build it light but other than that there's nothing you can really do to modify the wing.

4. Dec 26, 2010 #4

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    I'm a member of the Yahoo forum so just be patient and they'll get back to you. At the moment the forum is in a bit of disarray due to some members turning it into a political forum and that's upset other members. It is supposed to be DD specific.

See my thread 'Slow Delta wings'

5. Dec 27, 2010 #5

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Thanks Orion for the explanation..............I do appreciate it, Deskpilot am very greatfull please are you a builder of Dyke Delta?

6. Dec 27, 2010 #6

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

No Steve, just used it as a base for my design which I call the Eagle Ray. Maybe I'll build it one day. I modified the wing somewhat so I have no idea as to if it will fly or not. I think it looks good and would be a stunning 'one off'.

7. Dec 28, 2010 #7

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

oh i see.......thats good. But I still dont know why the yahoo forum for the Dyke delta never accept my membership, i am getting scared if i would ever lay my hands on the building plan, when am not let in into just a group....How i wish my first dream plane could run on grass way, but am still searching for a folding wing 4 seater that the kits willl not make me go into fasting while building. I do not know if anybody ever try to build Zenith 801 with folding wing.

8. Dec 28, 2010 #8

addaon

addaon

addaon

There aren't that many 801's out there... I suspect none have a folding wing. Even on the 701, the folding wing option is unpopular, because it only takes about five minutes longer to remove the wings than to fold them. Still, if that was really your only additional requirement, talk to Caleb at Zenith and see what he says.

9. Dec 28, 2010 #9

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

OK Addon........i will contact him and see what he says.

10. Dec 28, 2010 #10

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Addon...I was reffered to thier website as the answer to my question was already answered, its not foldable due to the sieze of the aircraft, In this case does anybody know 2 or 3 seats composite, build from scratch, with wing fold?

11. Feb 8, 2011 #11

MicRuler

MicRuler

MicRuler

hey stevetosh, did they accept you as a member? I applied like 2 days ago and got accepted in less than a day after. In my message all I said was "I'd like to construct a homebuilt aircraft someday and I'm interested in the Dyke Delta."
    There has been like 10 new persons since december on the new member list. LOL If your not on it maybe your not cool enough to be apart of the "IN-CROWD".:gig:

12. Feb 8, 2011 #12

MicRuler

MicRuler

MicRuler

13. Feb 9, 2011 #13

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

There is a very nice Delta for sale at the moment. It's going cheap but has a registration problem. Below is a copy of the sellers ad.

--- In dykedelta@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Druckenbrodt" <n131kd@...> wrote:
    >
    > To All who are seriously interested in buying my Dyke Delta. I will sell it to the first person who understands that the aircraft has been deregistered for legal protection purposes; therefore, the person who buys it will have to reregister it as the builder. I am selling it as an engine and aircraft parts even though it's not disassembled. This person must also offer a reasonable price and have the cash available to complete the transaction. The aircraft and engine (since major overhaul) have 16.1 flying hours on them. The main reason for this is the fact that I was a military pilot a week after my 19th birthday, had over 30 years of service and my wife said, "it's my turn" now. I couldn't disagree with her. Also, I'm 86 so it's time to let it go. My delta has better navigation equipment than the F-80s,T-33s and F-86s that I flew as well as many others.
    > My delta is equipped with a Northstar M1 Loran Navigator. It picked up Oshkosh while on the ground at New Braunfels, Texas and it does a lot of good stuff. It has a Sigtronics Intercom, Narco AT-150 Transponder w/Ant. and Ameri-King Model AK-450 w/voice transmission capability. Item List Follows: Electronic Ignition System by Jeff Rose, Bendix Fuel Injection System, Grand Rapids Engine Information System w/Super Size Display, Bendix Ignition Switch, Oil Filter- Spin On Adapter Kit-Extra Champion Oil Filter, Wing Tip Strobe Assy., 2 1/4" G-Meter, Airspeed Ind.,Left M-4370 Mag &Mag Harness,Mini Fuel Pressure ,3500 Analog Tach w/sender harness, AV-22 DME/Transponder Ant., Cessna Split Master Switch, Master Solenoid, Landing Light, I Set of 600-6 Bodell Wheels & Parts, 2 McCreary Aitrac 15x600-6 6 ply Tires, 0-360 Oil Cooler, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, UD-2 Flush Fuel w/contoured adapter, 12"T Handel for Nose Wheel Steering Connect/Disconnect, Whelen Red/Green Lens/ Bases/Gaskets, Sabre Mfg Prop Extension-6 Prop Bolts, Sabre 7x 1/2" Crush Plate Hub, Tach Cable Assy.,Headliner & Side Panels, Four Cushion Covers, Special Astronaut Foam for Seats, Heim Rod End Bearings, Sound Deadening Material, LR-3 Voltage Reg, Pace Setter Propeller, Aluminum Spinner, a cool air system, a warm air system, Slick Start System, heated pitot tube, mini cockpit light, retractable entrance step, vacuum system w/filter, vacuum R.C. Allen Artificial Horizon, Vacuum R.C. Allen Directional Gyro, Air Force Type Sensitive High Altitude Altimeter, Mini Suction Gauge, Electric 4 min Turn & Bank w/Needle & Ball, Nose Gear Centering Light w/ on/off switch, night instrument lighting, many reset circuit breakers, and other items too numerous to mention.
    > This will give you a good idea of how this delta is equipped but I want to add a couple other important items: 1. The main fuselage was TIG Welded by a Certified Aircraft Welder who also Welded the Engine Mount. Holes were drilled in all of the fuselage pieces inside the welds so that special oil could fill the entire fuselage structure and then drained out for future preservation purposes. This will give you an idea of the extra care taken during construction. Also, the first flight was completely successful, nothing had to be changed except to tighten
    > the right trim tab so it wouldn't creep. The thing that amazed me the most was the T Tail. It was perfectly aerodynamically balanced. You
    > couldn't even feel it being activated. You could slightly on the ground but not in the air. Some builders had built heavy mechanisms to operate the T Tail but it's not necessary if you build the tail so that it is properly balanced statically and aerodynamically.
    > Like John said, this can be a hell deal for someone. Sincerely, Ken Druckenbrodt

14. Feb 10, 2011 #14

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Mic......i was finally let in, but the FAQ they sent to me makes me scared of building the plane. Are you looking into building the plane?

15. Feb 10, 2011 #15

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Why be scared? The FAQ is just being honest with potential builders. There aren't many flying, they take a long time to build, and have some flight manners that are unique to the delta design. This is all pretty normal for an "out of the box" home built design. If you want something more ordinary with the option of a fast build kit there are plenty of other choices. If you want a delta it's probably the best of the few available.