• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aardem powered concept

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autodidact

An Aardema V1200 powered record-attempt/air-racer. I think this engine could make 4,000 hp for short sprints. This is a configurational exercise; it is a highly modular airframe based on a strong, welded and heat treated cockpit cage that follows race car practice (top fuel cars crash at 300+ mph...), has a tube truss for the rest of the fuselage structure that is sized for air loads. The wing can be changed with the aircraft sitting on it's gear, and could be wood, composite, bondo faired metal, etc., the engine is also modular in that the PSRU is attached via a welded tube truss (which has been mentioned before by TFF, or was it Toobuilder...) so that the engine can move fore/aft while the propeller stays in place or the prop can move fore/aft while the engine stays in place, the fuselage skin is made up of light composite panels which can be removed easily either to get at the innards or to be replaced with a different aerodynamic shape. There are no flaps, the landing gear rectracts backward into the fuselage much like a Cessna 210 but the legs are articulated and have OTS coil-over shocks (an idea that FritsW has mentioned on the forum...), the wing drawn here is 86 sqrft and at a weight of 3800 lb and pulling 4g @ 450 mph would operate at a lift coefficient of 0.34 (I also had drawn a larger wing the would have had a Cl of 0.22 in that condition...), [this] wing's AR is 7.867, touchdown speed would be about 120 mph with this small wing (the reason for the tri-gear), a drag chute could be added if needed. I really think the Aardema is the best engine for this type of airplane, but I think you could get a Merlin in there, and even an R2800 or possibly even an R3350 (changeable fuselage skins...). What I have drawn here is 31.68 ft long so it is almost the same length as a Mustang, but much lighter and with about a third of the wing area.

I hope someone's doing something like this already but I just wanted to put my 2c worth in about how it ought to be done. Feel free to comment, say it'll never work, etc:

V1200record_racer.jpg

Back