A4 c skyhawk restoration

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
New Zealand, all the A-4's went to various museums around the country.
About half did go to museums, but Draken bought the rest and uses them as aggressors for training out of Nellis to this day, along with a number of our Macchis. They even obtained permission to use our existing markings (for the most part)!

Kiwi303

Those are the most advanced A-4's in the world in my opinion.
F16 APG-66 radars, advanced for the time avionics, we basically did to the A4 what the Indians have done to the MIG-21 to make their Bisons.

Take an old airframe and add modern electronics.

The argentinan A4M fightinghawk may be more mordern yet, but they were 1990's not 1980's an still have the hump on the back.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
F16 APG-66 radars, advanced for the time avionics, we basically did to the A4 what the Indians have done to the MIG-21 to make their Bisons.

Take an old airframe and add modern electronics.

The argentinan A4M fightinghawk may be more mordern yet, but they were 1990's not 1980's an still have the hump on the back.
Thanks for the information. I can say honestly say that the Kiwi's were the best drivers of the Alpha 4!

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
About half did go to museums, but Draken bought the rest and uses them as aggressors for training out of Nellis to this day, along with a number of our Macchis. They even obtained permission to use our existing markings (for the most part)!
Israel had about 20 for sale this time last year. I wonder if anyone bought them. Maybe Drakken.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
cool, will be rolling her outside soon for ground tests, i cant wait to hear the roar, i heard it was one of the loudest with that j65 by curtis wright. and if you go to www.myspace.com/tectair , you can see all the pics from the entire project.....tom

I would very much like to come see your Alpha Four's. Wish I lived closer to you and I would volunteer my time, skills, and work ethic to your cause.

A4's Forever!

-Yellowhammer

Heinemann

Hey folks! First time chiming in here, I heard Yellowhammer liked A4's so much he wanted to design a scaled version; Well I've been dreaming that dream since the early eighties and have re-kindled the thought lately, so now It seems that I've found kindred souls and decided to join the chat.

I'm working on conic lofting and looking for accurate A4-E sectional/design information if anyone might be of assistance...?

I am also involved with the Oregon Aviation Historical Society and am helping with restoration of the 'wimpy', a little low wing (possibly the first successful low wing amateur-built?) single-seater designed back in the 30's by Oregonian Les Long. This aircraft inspired the Bowers Fly Baby you are likely familiar with, and before that, George Borgardus little Gee Bee (no relation to the jug shaped racer), which was instrumental in getting the US government to allow the experimental class, the exclusive domain of big manufacturers, to extend to homebuilders. [check out beaverton outlaws on the web, and little gee bee at the smithsonian's website]

The museum has just acquired (2) A4's form a city nearby, and guess who gets to ramrod the restoration? Yup A4 lovin' ME!

Unfortunately, I'm not in the big money, so we are only looking at getting one of the air frames cleaned up for display (trust me I would put an engine in if it were possible), and horse trading the other for other 'stuff' but I don't plan on having the plane painted with a roller and set at the far side of the field, If you feel me?

Does anyone knows where I can get a erection/maintenance manual for an A4-E/F? A set of wing slats so I won't have to make my own? Landing gear might be nice also (although they might be there tucked up underneath, not sure on that yet) so I don't have to put it on a pole!IMG_20191012_155010265.jpg
1-5.jpg

Kiwi303

Yes, they were upgraded to have the same armament capabilities as the F16. Litton Industries in Mayland did the upgrades, Dr Dave Manners was project lead. It broke his heart when all his work was scrapped.

It did what we needed perfectly, Frankly we're too small and insignificant off to the bottom of the pacific that anyone able to bring a carrier load of decent fighters against us we're sunk no matter what air force we have, and anyone without carriers, all we need is an antishipping missile delivery platform.
An old non-stealth subsonic design with enough reach to meet a P3/P8 out along our maritime borders and to drop a missile or two each (depending on range and fuel load) on a vector away from the P3/P8 then return to reload.
All we need.

For joint ops, we're never going to be in the first wave of a coalition desert storm style charge into fully operational defenses so stealth and sophiticated evasion measures are unneeded, a bomb truck to provide air support to coalition troops after the heavies have been in with their F22/F35/Typhoons and removed the SAM batteries and enemy fighters.

Really, if we were in the market today and I was minister of defense, I'd be looking at the cheaper airframes like the HAL Tejas or the Pakistani/Chinese PAC JF-17 from the Pakistani factory both fitted with the avionics from the SAAB Gripen.

Back to the A4, I've seen the one in the Christchurch Air Force museum, nice plane, It looks like it would lend itself to a propellor sub scale model if you use an auto conversion with the redrive oriented down not up, to drop the propellor assembly down to in line with the slope of the nose.
It would mean a long undercarriage, or bent prop blades, but would keep the look. Maybe a Jodel style flat side ply box fuselage structure for the structural loads, doped by glued on and wire cut foam to shape, then covered with a skin of glasscloth and epoxy?

Heinemann

A4's already have probably one of the longest gear legs on any aircraft, or so it seems. All agree?

I wouldn't consider putting a prop on an A4. Thanks for the thought anyways. I can use all the help and input I can get.