A year and counting.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

Know your pain. Bad knees myself. Try bicycling. Getting weight off as I approach retirement and now have a flyable ultralight. I got a CGS Hawk. Getting some 150 dual as a refresher before flying the Hawk. I solo'ed years ago (1976) but have been slowly getting back into the game. Don't rush it, get some flight time in, and then pick a plane. Figure out your strengths and weaknesses and that may help you to sort out what you want/need in an airplane. The Hawk is a good starter for me. I need to get back to flying, and it will give me the chance to improve skills without breaking the bank.

I too am now out of debt. A wonderful feeling!

Derswede

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
Know your pain. Bad knees myself. Try bicycling. Getting weight off as I approach retirement and now have a flyable ultralight. I got a CGS Hawk. Getting some 150 dual as a refresher before flying the Hawk. I solo'ed years ago (1976) but have been slowly getting back into the game. Don't rush it, get some flight time in, and then pick a plane. Figure out your strengths and weaknesses and that may help you to sort out what you want/need in an airplane. The Hawk is a good starter for me. I need to get back to flying, and it will give me the chance to improve skills without breaking the bank.

I too am now out of debt. A wonderful feeling!

Derswede
Exactly the cure - I've dropped from 255Lbs back in December to 214 today, and continue dropping, shooting for 170~180. Much easier on the knees. I also have a recumbent bike and go to the local gym to help with the weight loss, and health. Things are faltering as I get older, so more attention to the maintenance is in order. I'm not going to be one of those retiree's that sit in front of the TV and end up horizontal soon after retirement.

Nice looking bird you have, and hey, made in Florida where I'm going to retire!

I think I've finally found a CFI that'll take me up in his tail dragger here in Dallas. Once ultralight is mentioned it's difficult to find a CFI today that'll do that. When that word is spoken I can hear in their voice the change, and that's normally followed by "you may want to try...." which pretty much ends the call. I'm not sure why this is. It's not that much different than going up for a refresh which CFI's do all the time. Take the student up, evaluate what he/she knows, and go from there. It's money and flight time for the CFI, so the only real issue is the type of aircraft flown. I even found a CFI who instructs in a KitFox. He brushed me off once I said ultralight. I even told him, it's replica of a KitFox Lite! It was a no go for him. It's been since 1998 when I was going for my ticket since I've piloted. Though I remember a lot, putting it all back into practice is the trick. Getting some dual time is a must. Also looking at a school out in California that specializes in UL, SLA flying and tail draggers. Expensive, but then again what's my life worth to me?

The plane has already been picked. I really love the Badland F5 Fujita. I actually love the Kitfox, and this could be my stepping stone to SLA and a Kitfox. Been talking to the owner who has posted in this thread. He recently completed I believe his first F5, which is a complete titanium frame, weighing in at about 26Lbs! Flying the only other full titanium aircraft ever built (because I can't afford an SR-71 Blackbird) would be awesome. :pilot: Pricey, yes it is, but I've set myself up pretty well for retirement, so why not? Anyone looking into the projects on this site will see the build as I assemble the plane. I plan on doing documentary videos on my YouTube channel as the build progresses. I've found so much good information here, building with those interested watching and commenting can for the most part be a great help.

I got my butt out of debt the 16th of this month. I sold some ranch property I had in Colorado. I didn't use it much and it's sold to family, so I can still use it if I want. What a deal eh? I took that money and paid off the house instead of doing so in Feb/22. I'm done, out of debt other than living expenses, oh, and taxes. I'm looking forward to the call in late September with Chris from Badland Aircraft to place my order. I hope to have the plane in early 2022. And yes, it'll be cash because not owing anyone is a wonderful feeling.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Exactly the cure - I've dropped from 255Lbs back in December to 214 today, and continue dropping, shooting for 170~180. Much easier on the knees. I also have a recumbent bike and go to the local gym to help with the weight loss, and health. Things are faltering as I get older, so more attention to the maintenance is in order. I'm not going to be one of those retiree's that sit in front of the TV and end up horizontal soon after retirement.

Nice looking bird you have, and hey, made in Florida where I'm going to retire!

I think I've finally found a CFI that'll take me up in his tail dragger here in Dallas. Once ultralight is mentioned it's difficult to find a CFI today that'll do that. When that word is spoken I can hear in their voice the change, and that's normally followed by "you may want to try...." which pretty much ends the call. I'm not sure why this is. It's not that much different than going up for a refresh which CFI's do all the time. Take the student up, evaluate what he/she knows, and go from there. It's money and flight time for the CFI, so the only real issue is the type of aircraft flown. I even found a CFI who instructs in a KitFox. He brushed me off once I said ultralight. I even told him, it's replica of a KitFox Lite! It was a no go for him. It's been since 1998 when I was going for my ticket since I've piloted. Though I remember a lot, putting it all back into practice is the trick. Getting some dual time is a must. Also looking at a school out in California that specializes in UL, SLA flying and tail draggers. Expensive, but then again what's my life worth to me?

The plane has already been picked. I really love the Badland F5 Fujita. I actually love the Kitfox, and this could be my stepping stone to SLA and a Kitfox. Been talking to the owner who has posted in this thread. He recently completed I believe his first F5, which is a complete titanium frame, weighing in at about 26Lbs! Flying the only other full titanium aircraft ever built (because I can't afford an SR-71 Blackbird) would be awesome. :pilot: Pricey, yes it is, but I've set myself up pretty well for retirement, so why not? Anyone looking into the projects on this site will see the build as I assemble the plane. I plan on doing documentary videos on my YouTube channel as the build progresses. I've found so much good information here, building with those interested watching and commenting can for the most part be a great help.

I got my butt out of debt the 16th of this month. I sold some ranch property I had in Colorado. I didn't use it much and it's sold to family, so I can still use it if I want. What a deal eh? I took that money and paid off the house instead of doing so in Feb/22. I'm done, out of debt other than living expenses, oh, and taxes. I'm looking forward to the call in late September with Chris from Badland Aircraft to place my order. I hope to have the plane in early 2022. And yes, it'll be cash because not owing anyone is a wonderful feeling.
You can live at higher life style being out of debt than being in debt.

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
You can live at higher life style being out of debt than being in debt.
Yes indeed. I was blessed back in 2006 when my supervisor at Texas Instruments introduced me to his financial advisor at Ameriprise. I signed up and have never regretted it. My advisor retired and his son took over my account a few years ago. The worst year I've had was over 12% return with one year an exception. The best was over 23% and most years are in the 16% to 20% return on investment range. What I pay them each year is pennies compared to what they have made for me. They also manage my 401K at my current employer, not moving funds around but just advising me of adjustments I might want to make. They also will not move funds in my Ameriprise Roth or traditional IRA unless they ask me for permission. I'm in control and I love it. I also was blessed by being employed by a natural gas and oil company here in Dallas for 5 year. They had a 401K that was dollar for dollar matching. That included the 50 year old's and over catch up contributions allowed by the fed. I pushed near the max I could contribute each year into that. Along with paying more than the minimum on my house mortgage I'm set to retire at 60, very comfortably as my advisor put it the other day at my six month account review. My mother worked for CBI (Credit Bureau International), so I was well taught about credit and its pitfalls. That doesn't mean I didn't fall into that pit, I have twice, and dug myself out. Now that I have no debt, I won't be going back that way ever again. Even my Badland F5 Fujita will be purchased on a payment (layaway) type plan, no interest and I don't get the kit until I pay for it in its entirety. Yes I could take out a loan against the house, but that would simply be stupid. I wish (as my mother did when she worked for CBI) that our schools would teach (or pound into young peoples heads) the problems carrying debt can cause. Lord knows most parents these days don't explain this to their kids, and don't know this themselves. If it wasn't for getting completely out of debt, the F5 would still only be a dream instead of turning into reality. I guess that's why I like projects that I build. Not only do I have a financial interest in the product but I have a physical attachment to it as well. It seems like we take care of things much better when we put our own effort into them, instead of someone else's (the credit card companies and loan companies) money that we then have to pay back, hoping whatever we purchased will last longer than the payments!

Back on what this site is about though, I've learned a lot from many of the folks here. I've only run into a few egos and I just ignore them. Once I get my F5 kit I'll start my build log in that area of the site. I also plan to video document the build on my YouTube channel. I'm going to appreciate those that say "hey, you may want to try...." or "that may not be the best way to do..." After all, I didn't get out of debt to sit in front of a TV once retired. Nor did I get out of debt to fly something into the ground because I didn't listen to others ideas and comments. I want to live my retirement years like a kid. I want to have as much fun as I can until I meet up with my parents some day, and my name appears in the EAA Sport Aviation magazines Gone West section some 30+ years from now.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Never been in debt since buying a new 1969 VW Bug for $1868 back in 1969 and paying if off in a few months. Have own 2 new homes with no loans, have owned 14 different airplanes with no loans. Many years ago I have the local bank do a credit check on me. Not listed. Just the way I want. The credit score is a score of how good of a slave you are.
You sound like my 2 sons and my daughter. Daughter 60 years old and one son 59 and the youngest at 57 years old. They live the same way.
We all live a higher life style than we could if we were in debt. We get to keep all of that interest money in our pockets to reinvest to make more money.
BTW-- When running the business, the best money spent was on a good CPA. Worth every penny.

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
Never been in debt since buying a new 1969 VW Bug for $1868 back in 1969 and paying if off in a few months. Have own 2 new homes with no loans, have owned 14 different airplanes with no loans. Many years ago I have the local bank do a credit check on me. Not listed. Just the way I want. The credit score is a score of how good of a slave you are.
You sound like my 2 sons and my daughter. Daughter 60 years old and one son 59 and the youngest at 57 years old. They live the same way.
We all live a higher life style than we could if we were in debt. We get to keep all of that interest money in our pockets to reinvest to make more money.
BTW-- When running the business, the best money spent was on a good CPA. Worth every penny.
Exactly! Funny as one of my friends married a young lady who came over from India. She's a wonderful person but had this really difficult time understanding how being in debt here in the states was a "good thing" when it comes to credit score. Totally backward from most of the rest of the world. Isn't it interesting that financial scoring benefits the entity who makes up the score instead of the person being scored? And as is said about wealthy people, they aren't wealthy by using their own money, they use other peoples money.