A voice from Upstate New York!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MotoChaos

Hello all!

My name is Jason and I live in upstate New York, just outside of the city of Watertown. I have always wanted to fly, since I was very young, and I have recently got the itch to do something about it. Winter is here and that means less things to do outside, so my plan is to begin building my own ultralight (or as I have read, close to an ultralight). I don't have the financial ability to buy anything used, or even a kit, so I figured the best way would be to build from plans and take it one step at a time.

I have already found many threads on this site that will help me along my way. I love how a forum like this can bring people together to share their passions and interests while helping each other at the same time! Wish me luck!

:gig:

-Jason

Chuck Avon

Follow your dream and when you start do one little step every day and next thing you have taken one long stride and it's an airplane.

1Bad88

Welcome to the forum, one thing that I forgot about the journey is the power of spending time in the same room as your project every day even if you don't work on it; just looking at your accomplishments will give you motiviation to continue. There are many A-plane discussions on this forum; read through them and participate in the debate.

Vipor_GG

Welcome and hope you find this forum as helpful as I have.
A couple links if you're looking for plans.
MiniMax is currently giving away digital plans to their planes.
Texas Parasol plans are free online. There is some controversy over this plane.
Affordaplane plans are $4.95. Again some controversy.
RagWing has plans for several planes, some are ultralight for very fair prices.
A couple links to kits.
The FP-303 is the cheapest kit that looks like a plane that I know of and is available as kit or plans. $8500 gets you everything but paint and instruments.
The Dream Classic is about $3500 without engine. It looks like a basic no frills ultralight.

1Bad88

I just watched Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines and let me tell you that if I had it all to do over again I would seriously consider the Dream Classic.

MotoChaos

Thanks for the warm welcome and thank you Vipor for the links! I have some more research to do but I hope to get started within the month.

BobDaly

I'm in Albany. Highly recommend the Minimax or Himax. Plans are free. Mostly, wood. Few power tools needed. You can get started for just a few bucks. Lotsa support from the factory and ETLB board. Work from plans only, partial or full kits.

MotoChaos

So many choices! I do prefer the taildragger style although expense will probably be the deciding factor in this project. I have a feeling that this won't be my last plane project.