A very overpowered motorglider!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Chlomo

Take this

and

Put it into...

This!

And there you have a grossly overpowered little bird! Maybe a leeetle too much power I daresay.

If I heavy mod the structure to use the engine as tractor configuration instead of pusher what kind of problems would rise except for the obvious CG shift(which will be taken into account when re designing the thing)

It seems fauvel smallgliders are the choice for minimalistic single person flight(other than ULMs of course)

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
How much power and weight is the current engine and driving what diameter and pitch of prop? The questions is, is it necessary? If the current motor climbs and cruises adequately then why the extra weight and redesign necessary for the new motor? If that is a VW in the picture is it in the 60HP range?

There is a very interesting design point for a cruising plane much like a glider, more like a glider than a cruise plane mostly because the HP required to sustain a fairly high cruise speed is quite small. If that cruising plane can retract its motor/prop or fold its prop and close its cooling doors then you get a glider as well. Niche and probably would have a limited customer base but maybe not and certainly some plans could be sold.

For this design you are looking at you would basically be taking the existing wing and starting from scratch redesigning a fuselage/pod to accommodate the heavier engine. Changing it to tractor could be interesting but it would put the pilot quite far back probably behind the spar and so it would sacrifice visibility but not much else.

Another thing to look at would be just putting two engines/props on if more power is desired.

Chlomo

Ahhh I should have made myself more clear;
I don't own that above airplane. It's just another silly idea of mine to maybe alter the exsisting plan and see how it turns out.

StarJar

Yeah, like Jay said. Looks cool at first, but you run into serious pilot visibility probs. If you scratch around on paper with flying wings, alot, you will see pilot visibility is a constant antaganist to some otherwise beautiful ideas. That, and prop clearance for pushers.
(Don't take my "like" on Jay's post as a personal shoot-down. I just thought he did a nice job of summerizing some of the challenges.)

Last edited:

Jan Olieslagers

[[ off topic ]] two cars are visible in the background, the grey one is obviously a Citroen 2CV but what is the estate car? A SIMCA, perhaps?

Aesquire

An "overpowered" motor glider is one of my future projects. The reason is to have good short takeoff ability. The downside is maybe enough power to exceed Vne in level flight.

A well designed motor glider can go pretty fast on not that much power. The Xenos from the Sonex crew is no open class competition ship, but I bet you can get decent mpg out of it.

proppastie

Log Member
An "overpowered" motor glider is one of my future projects. The reason is to have good short takeoff ability. The downside is maybe enough power to exceed Vne in level flight.

A well designed motor glider can go pretty fast on not that much power. The Xenos from the Sonex crew is no open class competition ship, but I bet you can get decent mpg out of it.
use this to figure that Appendix 1 Part 103

APPENDIX 1. DETERMINING MAXIMUM LEVEL FLIGHT AIRSPEED OF ULTRALIGHTS.

nickec

proppastie

Log Member

dino

HBA Supporter
There are a some VW powered single seat motorgliders. You could also add an engine to a two seater which is already designed to take the added weight in the fuselage.

Dino