A very clever trailer. It sure will inspire me.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

nestofdragons

Last sunday i saw this one. I returned to its owner and i had to video tape it while being used. I hope you are as amazed by its simplicity in use as i am. This design is clever!
The designer is named Hugo Ingels and he flies from EBHN. The ULM on top is a Storch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard6

Not that this trailer isn't a mechanical marvel, but placing the load behind the main wheels of the trailer is not good. Can result in uncontrollable sway.

Richard

BBerson

HBA Supporter
True. But some ballast on the hitch works for me. My trailer tilts on the axle. Requires a bit more effort than his does to get unhitched and tilt it down.

AeroGal

You don't know what that big box on the front (under the empennage) weighs. It look fairly massive. Also, no telling what else is in the box.

The CG of the plane is somewhere near it's main wheels, so it's not that too far back on the trailer. The trailer probably weighs several times what the plane does.

I would guess the CG of the trailer and plane is properly in front of the trailer's axle. You assume the owner/builder is stupid.

Not that this trailer isn't a mechanical marvel, but placing the load behind the main wheels of the trailer is not good. Can result in uncontrollable sway.

Richard

Winginit

Having recently built a "custom" trailer that was no where nearly as complicated as this one, I can tell you that the builder spent an inordinate amount of time in executing all the ideas he incorporated. I truly admire the ingenuity he applied and the craftsmanship he has, and its very impressive to see it work as designed. Here is a picture of a somewhat simpler design. I don't mean to knock what your builder did, its fantastic, but I know from experience that something like that is a monumental exercise to execute.

Kitfox Trailer 001.jpg

timberwolf8199

You don't know what that big box on the front (under the empennage) weighs.... Also, no telling what else is in the box.
True but it looks fairly light.

The CG of the plane is somewhere near it's main wheels...
True, when the wings are extended. The only time this happens is when you are loading/unloading. With the wings folded the CG will move towards the front of the trailer.

I would guess the CG of the trailer and plane is properly in front of the trailer's axle.
Based on the detail and execution of the rest of it...I'd agree. The designer probably considered the towing stability.

nestofdragons

Having recently built a "custom" trailer that was no where nearly as complicated as this one, I can tell you that the builder spent an inordinate amount of time in executing all the ideas he incorporated. I truly admire the ingenuity he applied and the craftsmanship he has, and its very impressive to see it work as designed. Here is a picture of a somewhat simpler design. I don't mean to knock what your builder did, its fantastic, but I know from experience that something like that is a monumental exercise to execute.
A genius can be recognized by the designs which are so easy. Winginit, you are a genius. ;) I have a question about its use. So ...you lift up the tail and place the tailwheel in that central channel. You lower the small ramps and you push the airplane onto the ramps. The wings are not extra supported at the tongue (word i just learned) of the trailer. It is truly a very very simple design. Is far easier to make. I am a bit worried about the needed force to get airplane on ramps.

Winginit

A genius can be recognized by the designs which are so easy. Winginit, you are a genius. ;) I have a question about its use. So ...you lift up the tail and place the tailwheel in that central channel. You lower the small ramps and you push the airplane onto the ramps. The wings are not extra supported at the tongue (word i just learned) of the trailer. It is truly a very very simple design. Is far easier to make. I am a bit worried about the needed force to get airplane on ramps.
Ooops, No genius here. I didn't mean to imply that the trailer in the picture was the one I designed and built, it was one that was at Sun N Fun several years back, and I thought it was quite well conceived and took a picture of it. The trailer I built was for hauling cars, 4 wheelers, and a tractor. As for assistance in getting an airplane loaded onto the original airplane trailer I posted, a simple hand cranked boat winch would supply any needed "oomph" to get the plane onto the trailer, and possibly serve as the rear tie down too. Also, I think some slightly longer ramps would help.

DSCN4647.jpg DSCN4652.jpg DSCN4651.jpg

Just like with an airplane, its all the small details that consume the most time.

Timberwolf8199 True, when the wings are extended. The only time this happens is when you are loading/unloading. With the wings folded the CG will move towards the front of the trailer

Winginit
I think you have that backwards.:) With the wings folded I would expect the CG to move rearward and help balance the engine weight. At any rate, the builder did an excellent job. If I were considering a trailer with this much work involved, I think I would look toward converting or constructing an enclosed trailer that could also serve as a hangar, but I can't deny that its an impressive and well constructed trailer.

Last edited: