A very affordable EFIS (Talos)

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by autoreply, Feb 27, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 28, 2017 #21

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

The comments are because the guys who do serious traveling in their airplanes are going to look at this as a toy. It's totally fine for the kind of flying I do (or rather, will be doing), and even you (rather a longer distance, and faster), but just from the comments I've seen here on HBA, the only way the "oxygen and flight levels" homebuilders will see this as useful is as a backup to their Dynon's and Garmins.

Different strokes...

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  2. Feb 28, 2017 #22

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

A large number of people already have a tablet or phone large enough to make this work. I have an Android tablet to run Avare for a moving map. Works great, total investment under $100, beautifully meets the "chronic cheapskate" requirement.

NOW... the real trick is to see whether an existing cockpit mounted tablet that is already running Avare (or any equivalent GPS/map) can SIMULTANEOUSLY use this TALOS system, either on a split screen or an easy and fast "slip-flop" back and forth key.

That would allow me to have the attitude indicator and EFIS functions of TALOS, PLUS a good moving map nav. If I could have all this information on one screen (a split screen or flip-flop), then it becomes a po' boy glass cockpit that can fit in even smaller experimentals, gliders, etc.

If that is the case, then it justifies a larger tablet that can display both.

Anyone know whether I can have the EFIS from TALOS on the same screen at the same time as the GPS map from Avare?

Battler Britton likes this.
  3. Feb 28, 2017 #23

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Android 7.0 (Nougat) and above has a split-screen capability built-in, but both applications have to be set up for running split-screen by the developers. I have no idea if Avare and this Talos app have been set up that way, but the raw capability is there in Android 7+ if they have.

4. Mar 1, 2017 #24

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Yes to split screens per the Talos Avionics demo video....

[video=youtube_share;OOIO_6CPHBQ]https://youtu.be/OOIO_6CPHBQ[/video]

5. Mar 1, 2017 #25

Pops

Pops

Pops

The email I received from Talos stated that you can have split screen with a Android 7.0 (Nougat) when using their application along with Avare, Foreflight, AirNav Pro, Avplan, Easy VFR, Skydemon, etc.

Battler Britton and Topaz like this.
  6. Mar 1, 2017 #26

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Awesome. Thank you, both!

7. Mar 1, 2017 #27

Pops

Pops

Pops

What Tablet are you using for the with Avare for that low cost? I am thinking of using one tablet for Avare and another for the Talos so all the eggs are not in the same basket. Talos sent me a good list of tablets to buy when using their system. If you have a different idea, please let me know.

Dan

8. Mar 1, 2017 #28

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I have a cheapskate Lenovo tablet, which I bought off of someone on Craigslist. I chose that tablet because it had a "real" internal GPS chip instead of a "sort of" GPS chip. I paid $70 for it.

9. Mar 1, 2017 #29

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I wrote to Talos and got a nice response from Nikos Sourligas with lots of detailed information, links, videos, etc. In short, they *did* offer a simpler sensor module before and it didn't get much traction so they have now invested in the R&D to create a stable (no need to keep resetting the zero) AHRS system which more in tune with the market. He also explained that A-EFIS does, in fact, support split screen operations even on Android 5.0 onward but that doesn't do much good because most of the other flying apps do not support this feature, which is why they recommend going straight to Android 7.0 onward. I encouraged Nikos to sign up at HBA and share all that info in the manufacturer announcement section.

PS--I have found an existing, low cost solution for adding barometric sensors (and real GPS if needed) to an Apple or Android tablet, but I'll start a new thread for that.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017