• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A supply of Douglas Fir for building airplanes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

Today my wife sent me in town today to a print shop in a very large old building. Large old 3 story brick building close to some railroad tracks. Had to be built in the 1800's. The main floor looked like it had been a railroad terminal lobby and the rest of the building for unloading freight from the railroad cars. At least 18'-20' ceiling, main lobby about 90' X 120' that was about 1/4 th of the ground floor of the building. Ceiling of the lobby is the second floor, supported by Douglas Fir beam posts of 16"x16" x 18'-20' on a 30' grid over all the lobby. Cross DF beams between the vertical beams of 16"x 24" held in place by large interlocking cast iron box frame. No bolts in the building as I could see. So each horizontal beam would be 16"x 24"x 30'. Looking at the ceiling the floor joist of the second floor is exposed. They are 12"x20" x 30'.
This huge 3 store brick building has an inter construction with these large Douglas Fir timbers and I didn't see any timber that would not be aircraft quality. Had to be virgin timber for the sizes.
I would hate to see this building tore down, but I would like to get the bid on the wood if it was. Its mind blowing for me.

Next time I'm going to take a tape measure and a camera and try to get permission to take pictures and measure.

Back