A single seater from Czech Republic the Merlin ML and UL

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

I've found a neat sheet metall single seater from techproaviation, it looks like a shrunk C150, available as a tricycle or taildragger :)

I'm going to have a look at this bird at the next air fair here at Europe.
Erkki

Last edited:

markaeric

Seems neat. Hopefully we'll get some reviews soon. Not a big fan of 2-strokes, so I'm looking forward to the O-100 coming to market.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
It was first offered with the Rotax 582 (two-stroke). Then the HKS came back into production again, I think.
The 582 has superior climb but uses more fuel.
The build method is unique, as explained in the video link. It comes pre assembled with a few rivets that the builder drills out to get inside and install parts. Then reassembles and fully rivets. Still complies with 51% rule (barely).

Pilot-34

Could you treat a certified airplane like that?
Take it apart like a hippies Volkswagen at the border station Then put it back together and claim to have done 51% of the work ?

kinda sounds like cheating.

Pilot-34

Well a kit you drill a few rivets out of the Put back together seem like a scam too!
What’s the difference?

ScaleBirdsScott

The kit is never fully riveted into flightworthy condition nor is I believe much of the final installation work done.

What's the saying? It's more like the kit comes as a specifically arranged tight formation of different pre-cut materials, secured for shipping via soft aluminum rivets vs being induvidually wrapped in large quantities of plastic and stuffed into crates. Think of the environment!

But yeah if the thing was completely built and registered and then stripped back down there's a difference in provenance that applies.

Pilot-34

I Am one of those guys that learns with my hands and eyes.
If I took a Cessna apart I’m sure I’d learn a lot.
That’s what the experimental aircraft category is all about right?
How much of that plane could I reuse In a experimental and still be in conformance with the law?
Would I have to build one wing Rib and rerivet the original skin to get credit for building a wing or would I need all new noncessna ribs and skin to be Legal as an experimental?

TFF

There is a checklist with penalties for certain certified parts. Wings and fuselages hurts. You would have to take it 100% apart and they can still deny it. Your documentation would have to be impeccable or a buddy who would could sign it off. Would cost him his license if caught. You can put it in Experimental Exhibition. That is where airshow planes go. There use to be a company that sold a Cessna 180 clone kit. Not cheap. Not really useful.

I have a set of Bearhawk plans. A four seat homebuilt is a big project. There is no shortcut for a large airplane. Way easier and way cheaper to buy something flying if you want 4 seat load.

PagoBay

The HKS 700E is now out of production. Merlin PSA and its smaller sibling, the Merlin Lite, which is seeking Part 103 compliance, are both single seat, all metal aircraft. Chip is set to offer a 60HP 4 Stroke VTwin. Aircraft and engine discussed here in two earlier threads:
-1-
AND
-2-
AND ALSO
Chip has recently updated his webpage for more details on the VTwin: Vtwin – Aeromarine-LSA

Last edited: