• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A serious warning for builders!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkert51

Hello All!

Recently I have purchased a good bit of 4130 tube. Here at Thunder Aviation we test every batch of material we will be using and have had some very disconcerting results. This particular batch came from a major supplier of aircraft products. Once it was unloaded we took several random samples and performed pull tests with shocking results. So we then pulled several more samples for x-ray. We received 4130 chrome moly with as many as 18 inclusions per inch! This is without a doubt junk material. We had a similar experience from a second major supplier and a nightmare issue with some 5052 aluminum that would barely weld. The problem with the chrome moly is by looking you would never have realized a problem. Without testing I wonder how much of this material is out there flying around now?

My best advice folks is to require a supplier to certify country of origin when ordering such materials. And only accept materials from the US and Germany. We have found no issues with materials from these two countries.

Back