• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A Sane home building BBS !!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithO

Hi

I'm located near Napoleon Michigan. Have been interested in Experimental aircraft for quite a while, my first visit to Airventure was in 2003.

It all started for me with a flight in a 4 or 6 seat airplane when I was about 11. There was some sort of country fair going on and airplane rides were one of the things being offered by a farmer who has a private airstrip on his land. It is amazing how one flight makes you realize how limited our perspective is from the surface of the earth.

Fast forward about 30 years... It had not been within my financial resources to consider flying until sometime after 2000, at which time I was working for an affiliated company in Germany. Turns out that in a town only about 3/4 of an hours drive away (Speyer) was the center of experimental aircraft activity in Germany. Seriously looked into doing my PPL, but it was just too expensive, when the cost of fuel and airport fees were taken into account in addition to tuition.

There was some interesting engine development going on though, and a lot of it in or close to Speyer. Ecofly had developed an aviation version of the MCC Smart Engine (600cc turbocharged) which had been approved as the "production" engine in the FK9 airplane (2 seat high wing tube and fabric design - slightly below our LSA standard).
Basismotor.jpg

At the time the designer was working on the 800cc turbodiesel version also from the MCC Smart and I got to see it running in the FK9 airframe. In the meantime, the price of this package is higher than the Jabiru engines, so not viable.

When I investigated the rules relating to German experimental aircraft, it was very disappointing to discover that they were not affiliated to the EAA and had their own governing body and rules. It is called the Oskar Ursinus Vereinigung (OUV) and the procedures by which one achieves an airworthiness certificate is completely different. Regardless of design, one has to present calculations for center of lift, center of gravity, demonstrate by calculation that all structural members are adequately strong and that engine thrust is sufficient. If one reaches the build stage, one has to conduct static loading of the wing, elevator and tail to design loads. For all of the "assistance" by the association, one has to schedule with an inspector, like one would with the FAA and pay by the hour. The fees alone run into thousands.

In 2003, following a divorce from my former German wife, I found an opportunity to make a move to the Midwest to work on US diesel vehicle aftertreatment systems, since several sets of new EPA regulations were in the pipeline. Looking back, the world was a different place back in 2003. Easy credit, everyone seemed to be making money (or just spending it), sky high real estate prices. It was pretty tough looking for a home, and even though when I bought in 2006 I thought the peak was over, boy were we in for a surprise....

So, currently in pretty much the same situation as much of the population.. Mortgage higher than home value, so basically stuck geographically. Since I figure this situation is going to last a while (at least in MI), I have reached the point where I am going to spend the money and fill in the gaps regarding the lack of a suitable workshop at home. I hope to get about a 900sq ft workshop built next year. Would go larger, but I have a small lot with quite large setbacks and I may need a variance from the township even for what I have in mind. That will finally provide the space needed for something more than space to park the car.

I have not conclusively decided what I am going to build. I would like to go composite, and I realize that the devil is in the details (keeping the fibers in the layout "straight" and taut, controlling epoxy content, etc). The kits are just too expensive, unless I win the lottery. The Legacy FG is actually good value for money, when compared to the tin sold by Vans, and the amount of work needed to set those tens of thousands of rivets... But then there is the expense of the big motors on the RV's and the Lancairs.

Reviewing the options this weekend, it is disheartening how many vendors have gone bust in the past few years. Prices for many things have essentially doubled (not to mention fuel). Some of the attractive options like the CAM 100 and 125 FWF Honda engines that were in fact successful are gone due to age and health of the owners. Other developments on the turbine front that looks so promising are gone too (Inodyne). The Solar T62's that were once available cheap are basically gone too. Many of the re-drives are gone. The majority of the "alternative engines" don't present a viable case when the all up cost is considered and one then considers insurance. I am still intrigued by the rotaries, and I am glad to see that Tracy Crook is still in business. On the smaller end of the scale, it looks like the Geo 3/4 cylinder conversions with Russian reduction drives remain an option for not too much money.

I have followed the development of the BK1, and what started like a rocket has fizzled miserably in the past 18 months. Not sure of the reasons, but perhaps Bruce lost a ton of money in the stock market crash and has to work full time again. I have been begging on the BK1 forum for Bruce to release those parts of the plane that are "known" to work (wings, tail, fuselage) since by the time I make some progress he would have closed any gaps that they have not got to yet. This airplane is really attractive from a cost/utility point of view.

Long introduction, greetings to the old hands here on the board.
Keith

Last edited:
Back