• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A "new" way to locate blind holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally

I thought I would share this trick I just discovered. I am making some sheet metal cover pieces that will fit over and around the landing gear bungee cords in the front of the cockpit. I want to block the huge gaps that would let in a blast of air (and engine fumes) right in front of my feet.

I needed to locate holes in the piece I was adding on top of a piece that already had holes in it. Holes are for # 8 screws. I do have some strap type hole finders but they were at home and I was at the hangar.

What I did was place a strip of masking tape on the under side of the part I wanted to make the matching hole in. I then put the part in place over the hole and pressed down hard. When I took the part off and looked carefully at the masking tape, I could see where the hole needed to be!

I think this method may depend on a lot of little things, such as: if the existing hole has a rough edge, how hard you can press, how big the hole is, how thick the masking tape is, and maybe how thick the metal is. Anyway it worked and I saved a trip home and back.

Maybe someone can use this trick too.

Another way I sometime see the mechanics do it here at work is with a piece of clear plastic. They put it on the airplane and they can see where the holes need to be. They next take the plastic sheet and put it on the new sheet metal piece and drill the holes.
Wally

Back