Quantcast

A little HBA news

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just thought I'd share that I'm going on Vacation!!!:D I haven’t been on a true vacation (without the kids) since the kids were born (4 years). Can you just see the grin on my face? I'm going skiing at Whistler Canada and I can't wait. My legs are actually hurting just thinking about it though. I'll be gone for the 3 day weekend starting this Friday. I'll still do my best to make sure things run ok here while I'm gone. If there is a problem and it doesn't get fixed right away, either I can't get to a computer or I'm in a hospital somewhere.

On another note, this site should be switched over to a dedicated server by the end of this week. Right now we are on a shared server that has been having some performance issues. With the new server, we should be able to handle a much greater user load. If you experience any problems in the next few days, it's most likely the server switchover. Again, please be patient.

I want to thank everyone who has registered so far. There isn't a lot of incentive to register because membership is so low, so I'm very glad for those that have taken the plunge anyway. As far as posting goes, please don't hold back! There is always something to talk about when it comes to airplanes :D .

Anyway, enough from the peanut gallery.

Jake

Joe Cygan

Whistler,wow!That's a great place to go skiing.I went there about fifteen years ago.I think they actually have a run that is seven miles long.Also, right next store is Blackcomb Mountain.

Don't worry about your site when your gone.Your on vacation and put that mouse away until you get home.I think there's enough of us members to watch out for you until you get back.Have a great time.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, we're planning on skiing both mountains while we are there. We are going to ski one mountain the first day, then the other the next day. On the third day we'll choose which we liked best and ski that one. They say that Whistler / Blackcomb has 7000 skiable acres. That is an incredible amount of area. I'm sure we’ll only scratch the surface. I love to ski, but when the time is right, I look forward to waxing wheel pants instead of skis :D .

I received an update on the status of the new server. It’s going in tonight sometime. I'm not sure on the time however. I doubt anyone will even notice when it happens.

About leaving the mouse behind.....That’s a tough one. We'll see ;) .

Jake

Rick Maddy

Enjoy

I liked Blackcomb a little better than Whistler but certainly decide for your self. Both are huge. 5280' vertical. You never need to go below mid-mountain so you can avoid the crowds at the base. When I was there 12 years ago we got 5 1/2 feet of snow in a week on the upper mountain and it rained all week at the base. It was awsome as long as you stayed above mid-moutain.

The best part, at leat for us Yanks, is the exchange rate. You'll live like a King up there.

I'm going to Alta for the long weekend myself. I'm flying there (that's what makes this post relevant to this forum :) )

Enjoy and back to building

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Alta:

Base Elevation: 8,530 ft.
Top Elevation: 10,550 ft.
Vertical Drop: 2,020 ft.
Skiable Acres: 2,200 acres
Average Seasonal Snowfall: 500"
Lifts: 1 detachable quad chair
1 detachable triple chair
2 triple chairs
4 double chairs
4 surface tows
Runs: 25% Beginner
40% Intermediate
35% Advanced
Snowmaking: 50 acres
Snowboarding: None

The last line says it all :D . *No disrespect to snowboarders*. Actually I dabbled in the snowboarding arena for a while but gave it up and went back to skiing. I started saying dude too much.

The other day I was fantasizing about putting ski cubbies into the wings of a Cozy. It is a foam and glass wing after all ;) . Maybe I could attach a ski rack or something. Cargo pod?

Have a good time rick!

Jake

Joe Cygan

Oops!I guess seven miles long was a little long.How about, more like a mile long.;) Go break a leg!

Jman

Site Developer
Joe,

I thought you were right so I looked it up. Whistler and Blackcomb both have a 7 mile run. I can't wait!

Jake

ekisbey

Hmm... A ski rack on an airplane. Maybe an adaptation of baggage pods, perhaps resembling an external drop-tank? You could get at least two pairs of skis in a tube 12" in diameter and seven feet long..

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
In all seriousness it has been done already. I did see some type of canard aircraft with wing mounted cargo pods somewhere but I'm not sure where. Here is a picture of the rocked powered Long EZ with an external fuel tank. I actually really like the idea of removable wing mounted cargo pods. Maybe with a glass nose for an extra passenger to lay down and look out of ;) (just kidding).

Jake

Another thought. Now that skis are so much shorter than they were it would be even easier. I'm 5'9" and my skis go to my forhead. That is the norm now for the new shaped skies.

John Slade

Skiing - now thats something I miss down here in sunny Florida.

I think it was Mike Melville who added fuel pods for a round the world trip. JD Newman sells baggage pods. Here's a picture I use as Windows background.

I once did a day trip to Mt. Snow with two kids and three sets of skis in a Piper Cherookee. The skis fit in the cabin - just. I dont think that would work with a Cozy.

I take that back. I just measured the cabin. 6 ft skis would fit fore-aft between the firewall and the panel sitting on top of the shoulder rest with 5 inches to spare. You'd just need a way to strap them in to stop them moving about. The plans turtleback bulkhead would get in the way, but I replaced that with a spar cap inside the front of the turtleback, so there's nothing seperating the front from the back.
Of course - rental skis is another option.

Hmmmm! Colorado, here I come! Then again - maybe Canada is the place to go. It MUST be quiet up there. All the Canadians are in S. Florida right now.

Attachments

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks John. Very cool! Skis in the cabin and boots in the pods. Skis and boots in the cabin and kids in the pods!! Ok, going a little too far.

There sure seems to be a lot of skiers on this board. I have a feeling that, when I start my project, skiing is going to become a very low priority. My wife only does it because she knows I love it.

Jake

ekisbey

I do a lot of skiing, and oddly enough, I never considered, until now, just how many more resorts will be open to me if I can fly there. Going to Taos for just a weekend no longer seems so unreasonable!

I use a pair of K2 198 cm shaped skis (I'm tall), so carrying them inside isn't an option. I'll either have to rent or figure out how to get them on the outside. Perhaps an external "cubbyhole" or removeable fairing/cover/streamlined rack on the bottom of the fuselage is worth considering. The baggage pods John speaks of aren't nearly long enough for skis, though I doubt it would take much ingenuity to make a pod that is long enough. I'm uncomfortable with designing it myself, though. Even the innocuous-looking baggage pods would cause a change in the airflow under the wing, and I'm no engineer. There are rules to designing such things I have no knowledge of. The under-fuse concept might prove safer. I'll probly look into it when I build my plane.

John Slade

There would be a few problems strapping skis under the fuselage.

1. The NACA scoop needs all the air it can get. A bulge in front of it wouldn't work unless you went with armpit sccops to replace the NACA

2. The landing brake sits fairly central in the fuselage. There isnt room for a pod either in front or behind it.

There arent many flat places on the airplane. Ski rental might be the best choice.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we made it back in one piece ok. The drive was not too bad. I did notice there was an airport about 20 miles away from the mountain. It would have been soooo much nicer to make our way up there at 200 miles an hour rather than the 65 mph on the freeway and the 35 mph on the winding roads leading up to the mountain.

The weather was so much better than we could have even dreamed. It was totally clear, sunny and warm all three days of skiing. And the mountains were so massive. If only it wasn't so freaking expensive. Even with the currency exchange it was still pretty pricey.

Jake

fastglasair

Belly Pod for skiis

There was a Glasair builder back 15 years ago who used a "ski tube" factory made for taking 2 pairs of skiis on an airliner and fashioned aerodynamic nose and tail cones to the ends and attached the assembly to the belly of his Glasair I RG whenever needed. I believe he was from Virginia.