A Latvian light weight fighter

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

DaveK

Supporting Member
Nicer looking then some of the contemporary concepts like the Douglas XP-48 or Bell XP-77. I have to say I really like the looks of inverted inline engine cowls. Too bad that type of engine isn’t readily available in HP ratings I’d be interested in. Seems the Walter engines never got proper support here in the US. Can you even get one now?

Pops

Supporting Member
Oh sure, all those DC-3 and C-47's and Twin Beeches were just vicious predators waiting to slaughter unsuspecting pilots and passengers. Guess I'm lucky to have lived through four Taylorcrafts... must have used up all of my nine lives without even knowing it. And OMFG... all of the ten thousand innocent homebuilders with their RV's, about to see their families for the very last time! We better call the insurance companies and the funeral homes right away.

The story I heard was that the 23 series had a sharp stall at high wing loadings and this was not a big problem in a light airplane. So that would explain how the RV and the T-craft are docile... but then that doesn't explain how the C-47's and Be-18's managed to fly over gross without becoming killers.
B-18 is a pussy cat. But, its still a taildragger.

Pops

Supporting Member
Helped my hanger neighbor with the maintenance an got to fly it from time to time. Worked full time hauling jumpers. One time the right brake locked up and went off the runway and down a hill. A tree stump came up in the nose to the rudder pedals. The picture of the different color nose was when we just got it back together. Also new props and engines.
Sure a great flying workhorse.
John ended up selling it after many years and it went to Canada. I heard that the new owner put it on floats.

Attachments

• Beech 18 #5.jpg
    Beech 18 #5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 3
  • Beech 18 #4.jpg
    Beech 18 #4.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Beech 18 #3.jpg
    Beech 18 #3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Beech 18 #2.jpg
    Beech 18 #2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Beech -18 #1.jpg
    Beech -18 #1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0

Pops

Supporting Member
I thought you taught old man Piper how to fly his Cub, and suggested to him that he should consider putting a bigger engine on it?
Wake up, wake up, there you go, dreaming again .
Did know a man that started ferrying Cubs from the factory all over the NA and SA when he was 16 years old. 5 gal of gas and a bag of clothes and a tent in the front seat.

I did tell Wilber that his approach was to high when he ran into the lilly pond on landing at the city park here at Parkersburg, WV in 1913.

Last edited:

Brünner

Nicer looking then some of the contemporary concepts like the Douglas XP-48 or Bell XP-77. I have to say I really like the looks of inverted inline engine cowls. Too bad that type of engine isn’t readily available in HP ratings I’d be interested in. Seems the Walter engines never got proper support here in the US. Can you even get one now?
I might be able to find one for you, but you'll be on your own when it comes to OH'ing it.

pylon500

Anybody notice the reflexed "flying wing" airfoil shape in sections E anf F of the 3-view?

That was the first thing I noticed, but then realised it was just a mistake made by the drafter by including a small section of the wing to fuselage fillet in his section drawing.
Bit of a silly mistake to make. 🤦

Bill-Higdon

On the higher end of the HP range you could use a Ranger inverted 6

flitzerpilot

Further to my post regarding an earlier paper project of mine around a Cirrus ll inline motor, here are some sketches of some of the scaled-down Latvian fighter-trainers and the later VEF I-16 fighter prototype concept. The first sketches show a representation with a strengthened Mincab wing and main undercarriage which would have suited such a replica quite well. The I-15 I think is a prettier aeroplane, but apart from the I-12 which could 'legitimately' use a Cirrus motor, the I-15 and 16 would be more suited to a Walter LOM. My version of the I-16 here was intended to use existing glider canopy sections back-to-back.

Attachments

• VEF 16 .220 Walter.jpg
    VEF 16 .220 Walter.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF Cirrus.jpg
    VEF Cirrus.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF I-12 mil. definitive compressed jpg.jpg
    VEF I-12 mil. definitive compressed jpg.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF I-12 solo.jpg
    VEF I-12 solo.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF I-12of the Aizsargu Aviacija.jpg
    VEF I-12of the Aizsargu Aviacija.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF I-15 85%.jpg
    VEF I-15 85%.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF I-15 data.1.jpg
    VEF I-15 data.1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF I-15 data.2.jpg
    VEF I-15 data.2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF I-15 scaled replica.jpg
    VEF I-15 scaled replica.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • VEF I-16 temp. structure with revised firewall jpg.jpg
    VEF I-16 temp. structure with revised firewall jpg.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1

Marc W

Actually the Acrosports standard wing is the M6. The higher performance model has a symmetrical airfoil.