Quantcast

A helping hand in the Lynchburg area.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

JoZé

Hello to you high flight walkers.
I'm looking for a helping hand to help pack and ship an Ultralight Kit.
The device is located in Lynchburg and I ... in France.
Thank you in advance for your help and your suggestions.
Enjoy the flights everyone.
Cdlt.
JoZé

proppastie

Log Member
I am not near there but the president of our local EAA was contacted and is helping ship 2 engines to Australia.....so if you can contact the EAA you might get the local Lynchburg chapter contacts. A lot of people helped....but careful....there was special requirements for the skid and packing as regards special certifications for the wood of the skid....The original quote to pack from a shipper was $4000 so the president did it for about $800 in materials....those international skids and packing boxes are expensive......still waiting for the shipper to pick up at the hanger and we do not know how much the shipping arrainged for by the buyer costs.

Last edited:

Derswede

You will need to use Treated lumber to package. Shipper will have to certify treated lumber or the container will get fogged on arrival for any wood boring critters. Gets expensive, as it is to shipper's account if they discover untreated wood in container. A 20' container is around $2000 to $3000 for shipping, not including local inland freight. Proper invoices must be done,. weight calculated for load, declared value invoice, packing list, and some other doc's will be needed to be generated. I could do it, but tied up presently with shipments to Peru, Pakistan and El Salvador. I am not cheap, around $2500 to load/secure/prep documents. Bonne Chance!

Derswede

JoZé

You will need to use Treated lumber to package. Shipper will have to certify treated lumber or the container will get fogged on arrival for any wood boring critters. Gets expensive, as it is to shipper's account if they discover untreated wood in container. A 20' container is around $2000 to $3000 for shipping, not including local inland freight. Proper invoices must be done,. weight calculated for load, declared value invoice, packing list, and some other doc's will be needed to be generated. I could do it, but tied up presently with shipments to Peru, Pakistan and El Salvador. I am not cheap, around $2500 to load/secure/prep documents. Bonne Chance!

Derswede
Hi Derswede,
I keep your contact for an eventuality.
When could you be available?
To make me an offer, what do you need?

JoZé

I am not near there but the president of our local EAA was contacted and is helping ship 2 engines to Australia.....so if you can contact the EAA you might get the local Lynchburg chapter contacts. A lot of people helped....but careful....there was special requirements for the skid and packing as regards special certifications for the wood of the skid....The original quote to pack from a shipper was $4000 so the president did it for about $800 in materials....those international skids and packing boxes are expensive......still waiting for the shipper to pick up at the hanger and we do not know how much the shipping arrainged for by the buyer costs.
Hello,
how can I get the contact of the president?
Thanks for your feedback.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I know at least six states in the US with a Lynchburg in them. You would be wise to clarify which state before recruiting "local" help...

JoZé

Merci Derswede, pour ton coup de main:bow: ... au moins tu as compris où se trouvait cette fameuse ville de Lynchbourg VA.

Thank you Derswede, for your help: :pilot: ... at least you understood where this famous town of Lynchburg VA was. VA, VA, isn't that Virginie something ?? It's good to laugh a little bit

JoZé

Around here, Lynchburg, Tennessee, is better known. See Jack Daniel's - Wikipedia

BJC
Hàhàhà, this Jack Daniel's is a good guy. When I taste, I can no longer walk straight or fly crooked ...it gives me the "mouth wood" "(hangover, in english, i think!)".
About wood, do you have a suggestion for a large crate in Lynchburg-VA 24504?
see you.

Derswede

Depends on the size of shipping. Personally, I crate few machines as the container acts as a "Crate" in this case. Plastic wrap and bagging are needed, as the containers do have vent holes. What size is this plane? If less than 20' long, a std. 20' container should fit everything. You can arrange with the freight company to have the container delivered to your door. Normally you have a couple of hours to unload it at the destination. Be aware that the container will be on a "Rack," which is a trailer for containers. So, a dock height place to unload would be the best. The fuselage can be strapped down to the deck, as there are loops on each side to allow this. Wings should be braced against the walls and some timbers used to secure them. Personally, I would set the wings LE down with padding under the leading edge. Carpet padding is cheap and usable. Engines and fuel tanks will have to be dry, can't ship the engines with oil in them or fuel in any fuel tank. Engines are best to be crated, pickled and plastic wrapped to keep anyone from messing with them. The crates would be secured to the floor of the container with bolts or nails. (Container floors are a plywood.) I would NOT recommend "Cosolidated freight", as too much risk of damage due to other things loaded into a container. Also, Customs will be more difficult, as you will have multiple Bills of Lading, one for each shipper for the goods consolidated into one container.

Ok, now ya'll know more about container shipping than you ever wanted to know. A couple of photos of recent shipments to give you an idea.Load1.jpgLoadStrap.jpg

JoZé

Hi Proppastie,
it chirps ??
So, thank you for your attention. I have contacted the president of the EAA of Lynchburg-VA 24502, and I am awaiting the feedback.
Have a good Sunday and see you soon.
Cordialement.
JoZé

JoZé

Depends on the size of shipping. Personally, I crate few machines as the container acts as a "Crate" in this case. Plastic wrap and bagging are needed, as the containers do have vent holes. What size is this plane? If less than 20' long, a std. 20' container should fit everything. You can arrange with the freight company to have the container delivered to your door. Normally you have a couple of hours to unload it at the destination. Be aware that the container will be on a "Rack," which is a trailer for containers. So, a dock height place to unload would be the best. The fuselage can be strapped down to the deck, as there are loops on each side to allow this. Wings should be braced against the walls and some timbers used to secure them. Personally, I would set the wings LE down with padding under the leading edge. Carpet padding is cheap and usable. Engines and fuel tanks will have to be dry, can't ship the engines with oil in them or fuel in any fuel tank. Engines are best to be crated, pickled and plastic wrapped to keep anyone from messing with them. The crates would be secured to the floor of the container with bolts or nails. (Container floors are a plywood.) I would NOT recommend "Cosolidated freight", as too much risk of damage due to other things loaded into a container. Also, Customs will be more difficult, as you will have multiple Bills of Lading, one for each shipper for the goods consolidated into one container.

Ok, now ya'll know more about container shipping than you ever wanted to know. A couple of photos of recent shipments to give you an idea.View attachment 107782View attachment 107783
Hello my dear,
in any case it has the merit of being explicit and complete. Well done.
In fact, the complete kit without engine or fluids, in a single box weighs about 250kg and is 10m3; a 6 foot container with a volume of 33m3. This solution is practical but involves the use of a Clarck (forklift).

Another possibility is to prepare 3 volumes that can be moved by force of the arms:
1-Long pallet, with the fuselage and other long items (4 mL), and wrap the whole thing with plastic film.
2- Wooden box for the wings, flaperons, vertical and depth fins.
3- Case for mechanical parts, landing gear, seats, cables and other supplies.(No Engine, No Gas, No Oil)
This option makes it possible to transport by grouping (LCL according to the CIE) and not to depend on a Clark to load / unload them, because the 250kg well divided by 3 volumes = + - 90 kg, which is accessible to two men ... or three!
The requests for tenders for transport and packaging go in this direction, with both options. The price is important, but also the deadline and the implementation of the plan decided.
My problem is on the one hand the language and not being there.
In any case, I really thank you for your attention and your advice.
I am waiting for photos of the current state of the kit (assembly and dimensions). I will make you a sketch with an action plan, so that you can make me a concrete offer. If you agree, of course.
Bie à toi.
JoZé

Derswede

Lamentable, yo hablo Ingles y Espanol, my French is terrible, according to my Canadian friends. Send me the proposed layout and I will take a look at it. With that length of pallet for the fuselage, I would avoid LCL, which is the same as consolidated freight. All the caution is lost when the next person loads their goods into the partially empty container. I have found the cost of a 20' to be not much more than the freight charges for LCL, when you are getting close to the space limits of a 20'. Let me take a look at it and I will give you what advise that I can, or a quote.

Derswede (Andrew)

JoZé

Lamentable, yo hablo Ingles y Espanol, my French is terrible, according to my Canadian friends. Send me the proposed layout and I will take a look at it. With that length of pallet for the fuselage, I would avoid LCL, which is the same as consolidated freight. All the caution is lost when the next person loads their goods into the partially empty container. I have found the cost of a 20' to be not much more than the freight charges for LCL, when you are getting close to the space limits of a 20'. Let me take a look at it and I will give you what advise that I can, or a quote.

Derswede (Andrew)
ok Andrew,
I prepare it as soon as possible and I send you.
Thank you in advance.

Derswede

My member photo is an older single aileron Pitts. O-235, fun little bird. We were building an S1S when my father died, that was powered by an 0-360. Most of our birds were antiques. A couple of shots follow.

DerswedeN11733 rebuilt.jpgWaco_RE.jpgMonocoupeClipwingSpecial.jpg

JoZé

Very pretty these Zinc.
Around here we say: it's in old casseroles that we make the best soup.
The high wings, the more we rub shoulders the more we love them.