• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A good engine to select for my project?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geosnooker2000

Hello all.
I am considering building a CH640 sometime in the future, and am doing a lot of research FIRST. I have been through various discussions over on the Corvair board and the Subaru board. Now I have some questions for you dedicated aircraft engine guys.
Zenair recommends a powerplant between 150hp and 240hp. You need a "high performance endorsement" to operate an airplane with an engine above 200hp, and that's not something I'm interested in just yet.
What I'm looking for is 6 cylinders with the lowest GPH burn possible. I want a Ford Explorer, not a Jaguar F-Pace.
This has sort of led me to the Conti 0-300, or the G0-300. I really don't like the idea of any gearbox, and I'm not sure if the 5HP missing from the 0-300 would be that much of a big deal?
Are there any other ideas for that range of power y'all can come up with? BTW, I'm not wealthy, so I won't be buying any new or newly overhauled engines. This would be a used engine with some time left on it.
Thanks for any input!
George

Back