A good engine to select for my project?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

geosnooker2000

Would your wife rather fly behind a Merlin?

Seriously, where did she get the idea that more cylinders is "safer".
Seriously? Are questioning the logic of a woman?
But, no, I share the thought that losing power (fowled plug, blown head gasket, lost compression) in one of 6 cylinders is a heck of a lot less traumatic than one of 4. I would rather have 83% power than 75%.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
You drop one cylinder in flight on a 6, you still have 5 to get to a landing strip. Remember, in these types of decisions, the wife has to be convinced flying is as safe as practically possible. And to tell the truth, so do I.
I have all of my over 2000 hours on fours. Had a cylinder load up both plugs with oil, ran on three, It still made plenty of power for level flight, fly to an airport, and land. Four is enough if one is not firing.

Now if you hole a piston or blow a jug, running on n-1 cylinders is going to be a dead engine really soon, whether n is four, six, or even eight.

I gotta wonder if real world reliability is not worse with more cylinders than with less....

Billski

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
First, It is your project and will be your airplane. It is an experimental so you may build it however you want withing some reason. So put the engine you want and like on it. A friend of mine says, with enough persistence, (and i add money) we can make anything work.

TarDevil

It's about what my wife thinks is safer.
I'm curious how your wife came to this opinion. Is she mechanically inclined?
But, no, I share the thought that losing power (fowled plug, blown head gasket, lost compression) in one of 6 cylinders is a heck of a lot less traumatic than one of 4. I would rather have 83% power than 75%.
Ok, I missed this when I originally posted.
So, it really isn't your wife's fears.

TFF

After she sees you build this thing, you think she is actually going to get in it? :)

pictsidhe

But you have a higher chance of losing a cylinder if there are more of them. You may, or may not, experience total engine failure as a result.

TarDevil

I take it you're not married...
Oh my goodness, that's funny!

Quite married, and plenty of airtime with spouse (and many others) in the right seat. Day, night, VFR/IFR, etc. THEY are the ones who gain trust from the left seat.

I'm not young. Cut my teeth on an O-300 powered airplane. No prejudice here, but I'll cross mountains in the dark with a 4 banging Lyc on the nose.

RSD

Maybe go Mazda rotary and explain to wifey about the lack of moving parts...

Victor Bravo

1) Find someone with an older Cessna 172 that has the O-300.
2) Then find someone who has a newer Cessna 172 with the O-320.
3) Then take a ride in each one.
4) Report back to the HBA forum with your findings regarding smoothness and quiet and comfort.

I'll look forward to hearing the results.

Toobuilder

Log Member
There is no doubt the O300 is a great sounding and smooth engine. That said, I'd wager that more 320 Skyhawks make to TBO without major interim surgery than the 300's. Not to say the Contis are bad, but in comparison the Lycs are just bulletproof. And if this is a "reliability" poll, that means something.

TarDevil

There is no doubt the O300 is a great sounding and smooth engine. That said, I'd wager that more 320 Skyhawks make to TBO without major interim surgery than the 300's. Not to say the Contis are bad, but in comparison the Lycs are just bulletproof. And if this is a "reliability" poll, that means something.
Ayep. Good reason why the Lycs have 200 hr higher TBO.

I loved the O-300, but I also want the most bang for my bucks.

geosnooker2000

1) Find someone with an older Cessna 172 that has the O-300.
2) Then find someone who has a newer Cessna 172 with the O-320.
3) Then take a ride in each one.
4) Report back to the HBA forum with your findings regarding smoothness and quiet and comfort.

I'll look forward to hearing the results.
Okay, I really want to do this. This is good, constructive advice. Now... how? How do I find people that have said planes, and B) would be willing to give a stranger a ride in one?