A couple of 'usability' issues/questions

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv7charlie

Hi,

1st, my question: It seems that for the past week or so, almost every word I type is flagged with a red underscore, as if it's misspelled. (The only two words in the previous sentence *not* flagged were 'so,' , 'is', 'a', 'red', and 'as'.) Have I inadvertently botched a setting, or is this a bug in the forum software?

2nd, a recent thread was moved from one sub forum to another:
I apparently had the thread open in a tab (Windows 7 Chrome), and when I refreshed the tab to look for new activity, the forum software told me that the thread didn't exist. On other forums, when a thread is moved the original location has a redirect message/link to the new location. Any chance of implementing that here?

Thanks for a great resource,

Charlie

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen the thing where almost the entire message is marked for spelling. As far as I can tell, it's when you've made several changes to text containing at least one misspelled word and it just gets confused.

The forum software does indeed provide a redirect, though the moderator moving the thread has the option of whether it's a permanent or expiring redirect, and for how many days. It could have been accidentally unchecked, or it could be that since you were already in the thread the redirect didn't work.

BJC

HBA Supporter
As far as I can tell, it's when you've made several changes to text containing at least one misspelled word and it just gets confused.
That describes almost every one of my posts, but I have never seen the problem Charlie described.

BJC

rv7charlie

Hi Dana,

I wish that was it, but I'm getting it as soon as I hit the spacebar after the 1st word. 'Hi' was flagged as soon as I hit the spacebar after the 'i'. I just cleared 'cookies and other site data' and my cache, re-opened this tab, and still get the problem. It may well still be a problem on my end. Tomorrow, I'll try replying to a post on my shop computer to see if it displays the same symptom.

In the entire body of text above, the only words *not* flagged are as, data, re-, be, a, to, and a.

Thanks for the help, and I'll give further feedback tomorrow.

Charlie

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Check your keyboard and keyboard settings (latency). Perhaps your space bar is adding two spaces with every stroke.

You can check for double spaces by moving through your post with the arrow keys to see if it takes two moves to transit the space between words. You’ll have to do this during the original entry because I think the forum software strips out double spaces when you hit the post button.

rv7charlie

Win7/Chrome (mentioned in 1st post).

No double spaces from the keyboard. Odd thing is, I can type replies to emails in Thunderbird (email client) or directly in Gmail, and I don't see the errors.

I did just try a reply to a completely different forum, (not HBA), and I'm getting the same flagging there, too. So, it must be an issue with my system rather than the forum software. Apologies for the false alarm.

Charlie

proppastie

Log Member
try a different browser E or I use SeaMonkey......I have had the whole message underlined, but usually I hit the space bar and it goes away, My latest problems seem to be it does not catch the misspellings ....get a quick red line and then it goes away.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
My latest problems seem to be it does not catch the misspellings ....get a quick red line and then it goes away.
Win8/Firefox

Kind of the same here but no red line noticed at all on words I KKnow are misppelled unless I type real slow. If I go back to edit then sometimes the whole sentense gets red tagged as misspelled. Between being dyslexic, a poor typest and just plain bad at spelling the red line is a crutch I depend on. (No red lines at the moment)

proppastie

Log Member
The Carbon Dragon site. ...nothing but problems since upgrade of forum software. I turned auto update off for Windows 7 a long time ago.

rv7charlie

After a Google search for a Google problem....found the issue. When I reloaded this thread to share the answer, I saw dougbush's reply which ID'd the problem. Google had changed *only spellcheck* to Spanish.
1592319287597.png
Hopefully, my distraction will help you admins if/when it happens to someone else.

Thanks for the help!

Charlie

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for letting us know what it was. It will help if others have similar issue.