• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A-65 Powered Homebuilts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for some designs that I could use an A-65 on. A few of my criteria include:
Plans built only
No composites (fairings etc. are ok, but not as the main structure)
Folding wing is a plus
Small size is a plus

A couple of designs I'm looking at include the Davis DA-5 and the Chilton. I have plans for both.

The DA-5 is a great performer on 65 hp, it's small so I can tuck it in the corner of a hangar somewhere, however the 2024 angle for the spar caps have thus far been difficult to find. Aircraft Spruce and Wicks certainly don't sell them.

I'm a big fan of the Chilton. It looks great and has good performance. I like the wood construction also. Negatives are that it's a bit larger than the DA-5 and might be harder to find a hangar to share with someone. Also, the opposed engine will be a little more difficult to make look good in the cowl vs the original inline engine.

Anyone care to recommend some designs I'm missing?

Back