• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A 5 cent cigar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

q400

"What this country needs is a good 5 cent cigar" Quoted by Senator Marshall in 1917.
True then and true today.
I don't know about you, but we seriously need an affordable way for average folks to fly and for young aspiring aviators to build time. At the airport where I keep my airplanes, I am surrounded by glass cockpit Cessna's, RV's, Lancairs, Glasairs and others. No offence, but the folks flying/owning these aircraft are financially so far above the median income class that for most is not attainable.
I am the poor guy on the hangar row. I have 2 Piper Colts and am building 2 Cassutt racers. I am the median guy and honestly nobody else at the airport is like me.
I realize that flying has always been expensive and always will be but the affordability divide has never been greater except for back in late 20's and 30's.

The point of this thread is that I am very surprised that somebody has not started building a 2 place steel tube, aluminum wing glider for light sport operations. This type of construction is relatively simple, cheap and robust. Think 2-33, 2-22, KA4 (without the wood wing). These glass ships being manufactured today are high in performance and dollars. These gliders could be aero and auto towed as well as fitted with a 40-50hp electric motor for self launch.

I realize the L/D of these simple gliders doesn't come close to high performance ships, but I believe the affordability will far outweigh the perf. difference.

Our situation is different than 1920's/1930's Germany, but look how many quality aviators they produced with simple ships and bungee cords.

Any ideas or opinions?

Back