• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A § 61.31 (i) (1) (Tailwheel endorsement) question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ava

I am a 13 hour student pilot with a solo endorsement for an aircraft equipped with a tail skid (no wheel). My CFI-S and I were discussing the regulation and he pointed out what seemed to me to be some interesting discrepancies in the regulation.

So, if I am considered to be proficient in normal and crosswind takeoffs and landings; wheel landings; and go-around procedures for the aircraft I am flying. (Which I had to be to get the § 61.87(n) (2) solo endorsement.) And the aircraft has conventional gear, but no tail wheel... (it has a skid). And the regulation says "tailwheel," not conventional gear...

(1) Am I endorsed already (via the § 61.87(n) (2) solo endorsement).
(2) Not endorsed-- BUT since the airplane I am flying doesn't have a tail WHEEL, I don't need it.
(3) I need of a separate § 61.31(i) (1) endorsement.

Back