800cc aircraft engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

My point is this; in your previously quoted post, you also said this:
Just remember this, if there are no problems in the United States, our government will create one.
While I have my own list of gripes about 'the government', I try to remember that unlike a lot of other countries around the world, here, 'the government' is me (and you).

In the case of K-12 public education policy, there is no 'the government' that is closer to being directly controlled by you and me. Most school boards have members that represent probably the smallest number of citizens of any elected official, meaning the individual citizen has the most influence on their rep. If we're unhappy with the education the kids in our district are getting, it's on us to fix it. It's not 'the government'; it's us not doing our jobs as citizens.

Tom DM

EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
In the case of K-12 public education policy, there is no 'the government' that is closer to being directly controlled by you and me. Most school boards have members that represent probably the smallest number of citizens of any elected official, meaning the individual citizen has the most influence on their rep. If we're unhappy with the education the kids in our district are getting, it's on us to fix it. It's not 'the government'; it's us not doing our jobs as citizens.

Wow, Charlie, now that is dangerous! Laying responsibility at the people! That is uncool, not done.

If somebody drives his car into a tree, that is not his fault! That is the fault of the person planting that tree 30-40 years back. If not: sue the tree. Those kind must stop jumping in front of a car!

Vigilant1

I never said the problem had to do with money.
Sorry I must have misinterpreted this:

This can be expected when so little is spent on the preparation of young American citizens in the classroom.

We spend a lot. In homes where education is a high priority, kids can learn a lot. But the parents and the kids in those homes face an increasingly difficult uphill battle IMO.

challenger_II

Correction, sir: sue the guy that own's the tree. Attorney's call that an "attractive hazard"...

Wow, Charlie, now that is dangerous! Laying responsibility at the people! That is uncool, not done.

If somebody drives his car into a tree, that is not his fault! That is the fault of the person planting that tree 30-40 years back. If not: sue the tree. Those kind must stop jumping in front of a car!

PMD

Having worked with "security" people in and from several countries I can say that if ANYONE is going to store information about me, my business, my travel, my communications I am far more comfortable with Canada/USA/UK than ANYONE else. If you haven't been there and become familiar with the culture, you have no idea how dangerous China and Russia can be with information, technology, human rights, etc.

Tom DM

EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Having worked with "security" people in and from several countries I can say that if ANYONE is going to store information about me, my business, my travel, my communications I am far more comfortable with Canada/USA/UK than ANYONE else. If you haven't been there and become familiar with the culture, you have no idea how dangerous China and Russia can be with information, technology, human rights, etc.

Computer memory has become so cheap that *everyone* will have significant data about you... and some have the ((wo)man)power to mine it.

Yellowhammer

Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)

While I have my own list of gripes about 'the government', I try to remember that unlike a lot of other countries around the world, here, 'the government' is me (and you).

Charlie, you are 1,000 percent correct my friend.

PMD

There was a time in my idealistic youth when I believed that to be mostly true. But, after decades working with and around governments, I have come to learn that we in the Western world have the mechanisms in place to be genuinely democratic, but in fact we have slowly eroded that to a place where we now haver "rule by special interest". Problem is: we live in a time where there is so much prosperity, good or bad government doesn't mean life or death to us, it means the difference between 3 chickens or 4 chickens in the pot. So, we have given up control of the mechanisms of state to special interests. Example: in 1929 we saw the results of the speculative economy taking money out of Main Street to fund Wall Street, so we passed legislation to prevent that kind of special interest getting their hands on the guts of our economy. When '08 came along instead of being punished for their treachery and malfeasance finance - who now literally control government - declared itself "too big to fail" and rewarded themselves by bailing out to the tune of not billions, but TRILLIONS of further plundering of the economy and the public purse.

We consider robber-barons so much status quo that not only do we celebrate them in North America, we watch the most viscious group of them take control of the largest nuclear arsenal and armed force without bothering to even criticize - heck many Western firms, markets and governments GAVE them access, contracts, trade and cash up the ying yang.

Our democracies are broken and need to be handed back to the people, but first the people have to teach themselves how it works and what is actually going on.

Yellowhammer

Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
There was a time in my idealistic youth when I believed that to be mostly true. But, after decades working with and around governments, I have come to learn that we in the Western world have the mechanisms in place to be genuinely democratic, but in fact we have slowly eroded that to a place where we now haver "rule by special interest". Problem is: we live in a time where there is so much prosperity, good or bad government doesn't mean life or death to us, it means the difference between 3 chickens or 4 chickens in the pot. So, we have given up control of the mechanisms of state to special interests. Example: in 1929 we saw the results of the speculative economy taking money out of Main Street to fund Wall Street, so we passed legislation to prevent that kind of special interest getting their hands on the guts of our economy. When '08 came along instead of being punished for their treachery and malfeasance finance - who now literally control government - declared itself "too big to fail" and rewarded themselves by bailing out to the tune of not billions, but TRILLIONS of further plundering of the economy and the public purse.

We consider robber-barons so much status quo that not only do we celebrate them in North America, we watch the most viscious group of them take control of the largest nuclear arsenal and armed force without bothering to even criticize - heck many Western firms, markets and governments GAVE them access, contracts, trade and cash up the ying yang.

Our democracies are broken and need to be handed back to the people, but first the people have to teach themselves how it works and what is actually going on.

HERE HERE! I concur sir.

Brünner

WARNING: Off-topic

The problem most definitely is money, just not the way that you think.

Because public education is left up to the local and state governments, the money available to spend on education varies enormously from place to place.

On top of that, go to any major city in the USA and visit the public high school in the poorest part of the city and the one in the richest part. Same school system, so the high schools should be comparable but rarely are.

Public education will never be 100% equal because kids come from homes with widely varying abilities to support and supervise their kids, but equal investment per kid would be a great start.

And before you point to welfare and all the rest, do the math for a single parent working full-time for minimum wage without benefits and supporting just one child.

Yours truly,

A former public school teacher

I might be opening a can of worms with this but hey, worms are always good for fishing.

Part of the problem - if not the problem itself, is that nowadays pretty much every school must follow the mantra of "nobody shall be left behind" which effectively becomes "everybody will stay behind".
It seems that now schools no longer reward merit, which is probably one of the most important concepts kids should learn right from the start. When I went to school the kids that pushed themselves always got better grades and were taken as example by teachers to push others as well, but now instead it seems you can't do that anymore otherwise the other kids will feel "discriminated". And if a kid doesn't get rewarded for his efforts, why should he push himself? So now instead of having some bright students and some laggards we have classes where everyone gets almost the same grade and that's about it.
So, money might be part of the problem but it's also how you spend that money that can make a difference.

Please note that I am referring about European schools, I have no experience regarding American ones.

challenger_II

Good Lord! I thought you were talking about the U.S. education system! You hit the nail squarely on the head, sir!

I might be opening a can of worms with this but hey, worms are always good for fishing.

Part of the problem - if not the problem itself, is that nowadays pretty much every school must follow the mantra of "nobody shall be left behind" which effectively becomes "everybody will stay behind".
It seems that now schools no longer reward merit, which is probably one of the most important concepts kids should learn right from the start. When I went to school the kids that pushed themselves always got better grades and were taken as example by teachers to push others as well, but now instead it seems you can't do that anymore otherwise the other kids will feel "discriminated". And if a kid doesn't get rewarded for his efforts, why should he push himself? So now instead of having some bright students and some laggards we have classes where everyone gets almost the same grade and that's about it.
So, money might be part of the problem but it's also how you spend that money that can make a difference.

Please note that I am referring about European schools, I have no experience regarding American ones.

rv7charlie

There was a time in my idealistic youth when I believed that to be mostly true. But, after decades working with and around governments, I have come to learn that we in the Western world have the mechanisms in place to be genuinely democratic, but in fact we have slowly eroded that to a place where we now haver "rule by special interest".
It's still true. Remember, no one 'took' that stuff; we gave it away. It won't be 'given back'; we simply need to take it back, by doing our duty as citizens.

it also amazes me that we no longer can apply the board of education to the seat of knowledge. It is very common - nearly universal - to see someone with a whip or rod standing at the back of the class in graphic depictions of all the ancient advanced societies. No coherently applied discipline strong enough to break the will but not the spirit of man results in the anarchy that rules the homes, schools, and streets...