80% Scale Hawker Hurricane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wiloows5050

Log Member
For welding, it’s basically the landing gear and the engine mount. I’ve solved some of my prolonged storage by putting the unsealed parts in a closet in my house. I have the 4 center section spars (2hurricsne projects) all the wing ribs or parts of ribs for 5 projects. Once I start assembling then they will get stored in my shop. Fortunately my wife doesn’t care as long as I keep them out of sight.
Most of the sheet metal parts are going to be 2024T3. Lyle has the jig for the landing gear. I hope to borrow it this year. I’ve cut about half of the landing gear tubing for my projects. Currently I’m working on the tail wheel assembly. A friend welded up the flat stock for me. He did it to hot so the plates warped. I’ll recut them, should take 5 minutes. The pattern is still in my computer. When your ready I can cut the flat stock for your tail wheel assembly if you’d like.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
I'm wondering if it'd be possible to create an 80% scale version of a hawker hurricane using an LS engine similar to the 80% P51 that has been built. Not sure the exact name of the person who built it, but found an engine runup video on the forum while reading everything I can. Being new to designing and building airframes and the affects of downsizing aircraft designs, I'm curious if it's plausible. Would the airfoil have to be reworked for a 20% decrease in size? I've been trying to read and catch up on as much of the scaled warbird topics as possible to catch a glimpse of design alterations; in so doing I found that with scaling aircraft down the biggest items affected are usually tail sections having to be enlarged, airfoils thicker or different altogether, and weight to power ratios. I've found these cases in reading the threads of the member who had the Hurricane 103 project, and the threads on basically all P51 scaled derivatives. With regards to scale Hawker Hurricanes, has anyone here built or have knowledge on design aspects of the flying legends and if the design was altered from the full size? I ask this as to my knowledge the Sindlinger Hurricane as all to scale as a 5/8 replica except a 4" wider and taller canopy and 12% larger elevator. I'm currently in no way at the point currently to start a project like this immediately, but always like thinking about potential projects and possibilities....maybe a 10 year project start date to have completed for retirement.

Are you talking about the Flying Legends Company out of Sicily that builds the Tucano Replica and the Replica Hawker?

If so your in luck. They are personal friends of mine and I can find out.

CBHurricane

For welding, it’s basically the landing gear and the engine mount. I’ve solved some of my prolonged storage by putting the unsealed parts in a closet in my house. I have the 4 center section spars (2hurricsne projects) all the wing ribs or parts of ribs for 5 projects. Once I start assembling then they will get stored in my shop. Fortunately my wife doesn’t care as long as I keep them out of sight.
Most of the sheet metal parts are going to be 2024T3. Lyle has the jig for the landing gear. I hope to borrow it this year. I’ve cut about half of the landing gear tubing for my projects. Currently I’m working on the tail wheel assembly. A friend welded up the flat stock for me. He did it to hot so the plates warped. I’ll recut them, should take 5 minutes. The pattern is still in my computer. When your ready I can cut the flat stock for your tail wheel assembly if you’d like.
That is an amazing offer and I do appreciate it! I may just have to take a page out of your book and use our spare room closet...or even the whole room itself for parts not sealed. That's the one thing about our house that I'm disappointed about, the lack of a basement so we have to learn space management. My understanding with wood aircraft building, is it best to allow the wood to acclimate for a year as the humidity and temperature will create warp? I was looking to use T88 for all joints, with that I read that system three has a "lacquer" coating that is compatible with the t88 epoxy so one can coat before glueing. Is that true?

CBHurricane

Are you talking about the Flying Legends Company out of Sicily that builds the Tucano Replica and the Replica Hawker?

If so your in luck. They are personal friends of mine and I can find out.
I am yes. I know the flying legends is a ~72% scale, I was curious if the airfoil was still a Clark yh or if it was altered due to the downsizing of the whole airframe. After receiving the sindlinger plans I realize the airfoil was changed to a NACA design. I sent them an email at the end of 2020 and they were currently focusing on the Tucano but are planning on redesigning their Hurricane replica in the next few years.

Overall my main question is; at what point in downscaling a warbird is it that one must re-evaluate airfoil and flight control design to achieve good flight characteristics?

If you could reach out to your friends that would be fantastic

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
I am yes. I know the flying legends is a ~72% scale, I was curious if the airfoil was still a Clark yh or if it was altered due to the downsizing of the whole airframe. After receiving the sindlinger plans I realize the airfoil was changed to a NACA design. I sent them an email at the end of 2020 and they were currently focusing on the Tucano but are planning on redesigning their Hurricane replica in the next few years.

Overall my main question is; at what point in downscaling a warbird is it that one must re-evaluate airfoil and flight control design to achieve good flight characteristics?

If you could reach out to your friends that would be fantastic

CB,

Let me see what I can do. I am a huge fan of the Tucano R and it is the one aircraft I must build when I finish the one I am building now.

I have very limited knowledge on their Hawker. However, I know that Frank, the owner, is an excellent craftsman and he has always gone out of his way to help me and answer any and all questions I have ever had for him.

I have the all the build manuals for the Tucano R and I feel like I may be able to get the build manuals for the Hawker as well. Obviously they are in another time zone but I will email him and see if he will grant me access to those.
I usually don't hear back for a day or so after I send my correspondence but I will keep you posted my friend.

Sincerely,

Yellowhammer

wiloows5050

Log Member
There is one other reduced scale hurricane replica out there that I know exists. It’s basic on the Loehle P40. It uses a modified P40 kit. It’s very similar size wise to the Sindlinger hurricane. It’s a one of a kind. The person building sold it either lost interest or support. It’s still in existence, the guy who has it doesn’t have the money to finish it right now. If I can find them I’ll post some pictures.

CBHurricane

I have the all the build manuals for the Tucano R and I feel like I may be able to get the build manuals for the Hawker as well. Obviously they are in another time zone but I will email him and see if he will grant me access to those.
I usually don't hear back for a day or so after I send my correspondence but I will keep you posted my friend.

Sincerely,

Yellowhammer
That would be an awesome opportunity, thank you.

I saw the SSDR hurricane on the mk103 hurricane thread but there was only the one picture. It's close to the same size as the Sindlinger Hurricane.

I'm currently looking into a powerplant for my sindlinger hurricane, I'm aware of Bob's Hurricane with the Mitsubishi 6G72 V6 and the Nash Sindlinger Hurricane with the Rover V8 although there's a less info out there on the Nash Hurricane. I was kicking around the idea of using the Suzuki H27 V6 or even the Honda J35 V6 as a powerplant, what's everyone's thoughts?