• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

8 cylinder VW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
Look in any forum and you'll find 'wacky' ideas. This may be the wackiest of them all.
Down here in the Land of Oz, we have a governing rule that says one engine, one prop. Now, the engine being the most expensive piece of kit in any plane, we are all looking for 'cheap' alternatives. We all want POWER. To that end, bearing in mind that we don't have 2 pennies to rub together, the thought of coupling engines comes to mind. Problem one is that rule,'one engine only'. So how to get round the powers that be.
My thoughts are to take 2 VW's and connect them in series. Obviously, the coupling between the engines is critical for this idea to work. Not only must the cranks be perfectly aligned, with the cases held so rigidly together that no rotation around the longitudinal axis is possible, but it must also be set so that the firing order is precisely timed with engine 2 firing exactly mid point between relative cylinders of engine1. Following so far? Crazy, ain't it!
Now construct a single ignition system by changing one distributor head from a 4 cyl config to an 8 on one motor. Throw the other distributor out and block off it's mounting/entry hole. Create a single balanced and tuned exhaust system, and repeat for the inlet side of things. Just remember, the more carbies you have, the harder it is to tune. If you really want power, add a couple of turbos to up the anti, but also up the cost.

To all intents and purposes we now have a single power unit, well at least in my mind we do. Have I forgotten anything, don't think so but then, my sanity might be in question.
Would it work? Could it be done cheaper than forking out for a credited aircraft engine. I think so, especially if you're a hands on man/gal who likes experimentation.

Back