• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

60hp Mikron Alternative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddK

Supporting Member
Work on the Cub Major progresses. I am building it largely to the specs of the Luton Major, with some of the Falconar improvements that do not add weight.
The goal is a max of 1320, an empty weight of 700-750lbs, and a 13-15 gallon nose tank.
I probably have about 8-14 months till I need to start thinking about hanging an engine.
I want to keep the engine weight in Mikron/ O-145 territory (the engines it was designed for).

As such, a Corvair/O-200 or pretty much anything over a hand prop C-85 with light mags, a wood prop, and a light oil tank is out.

Stewart the owner/builder of C-FOOV is totally convinced that an A65 would work just fine.

The Cub Major is pretty clean at 24" wide with no wires on the tail or anywhere else, a RAF 48 airfoil, and a 35ft span. Lots of wing.

As such, I am thinking of options.

On my short list is:
1.) Jabiru 2200 (probably a 2nd gen solid lifter engine).
2.) 80 HP Rotax 912 (used)
4.) a65
5.) a75
6.) Franklin 2a-120 60hp. They come up from time to time cheap, and can still be serviced. There are still some champs flying with this engine. In theory the Jabiru should be better as it is making 80hp at the same RPM.
7.) Casler 2400 or hand prop vw built to revmaster specs.

I am inclined to think I would be the least happy with 6.) and 7.) and that an A65 would beat both in nearly every aspect. I expect I would be the most happy with the Rotax, but the install will be more complicated, and even used it will be the most expensive of them all.

Any other ideas? Not interested in somebody who is working on something that might be out someday. Only stuff that has flown already.

Last edited:
Back