• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

6061 vs 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radfordc

We're having a discussion on the MiniMax list about whether you can/should substitute 6061-T6 for 2024-T3 in a specific application. Here's the question: "Plans for the tandem Airbike call for the root and strut fittings to be made from aluminum bar 3/16 by 3/4 from 2024 T4. I already have 3/16 by one inch wide 6061 T6511. Would that be an acceptable substitute?" The fitting has a round end with a 1/4" hole drilled centered; so the 6061 fitting would have 3/8" edge distance vs 1/4" edge distance for the 2024.

I looked at the specs for the two materials and it looks to me as if the larger size 6061 would be comparable to the smaller size 2024....but I'm not an engineer. Arguments have focused on the possibly of fatigue failure or shear failure of the 6061 vs 2024.

http://www.lonesomebuzzards.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1493338431/s-new/#num26

Expert opinions?

Back