Quantcast

582 reliability

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Right rudder fookie

I have a 582 with 105hrs on it. It has done some sitting but was taken down inspected and new rings and seals were installed when it went back together. Carbs were cleaned and all new brass parts and seals replaced. Needle , needle jet, main jet, idle jet.
rotary shaft got new oil and it also got new plugs.
I run 93/100% gas
Following the recommended Rotax maintenance guide,

how reliable will this engine be?

Yellowhammer

If you watch it like a hawk, make sure that you let it warm up properly so it doesn't shock cool on you and lock up, run Amasol in it, constantly check for carbon deposits and clean when necessary, check the spark plugs for proper color, and be mindful when you are in decent mode to keep the the power on so the lubrication gets to the engine to prevent lock up.

I know folks that have put 600 hours before they have had to overhaul their engines by doing what I mentioned above.

Please keep us posted on your experience with the 582.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
582 is a good engine. Run it right and keeping eye on it and you should have no problem getting 300hrs or 5 years out of it. After that you are on your own. I know a guy who put over 1000 hrs on a 503 before he split the case for an overhaul but he flew a lot.

Right rudder fookie

Thanks guys for the replies, that makes me Feel better about the 582 for sure.
I definitely do all mentioned here, I do checks and change plugs probably more often that it has to be done, but if one plug looks like it could be having a problem, I change them all.
I don’t use amsoil yet, I use the Lucas semi. Thinking of switching to the Sabre soon.

Yellowhammer

Thanks guys for the replies, that makes me Feel better about the 582 for sure.
I definitely do all mentioned here, I do checks and change plugs probably more often that it has to be done, but if one plug looks like it could be having a problem, I change them all.
I don’t use amsoil yet, I use the Lucas semi. Thinking of switching to the Sabre soon.

For sure the best practice. I do the same thing. A very inexpensive task for large piece of mind.

As for Lucas, I am a huge fan. I use it in all of my vehicles. No aircraft usage as of yet but I wouldn't be opposed to using it.

Amsoil was suggested to me very early on and have had excellent results with it.

What gear box are you using on your 582?

Thanks,
Yellowhammer

Right rudder fookie

For sure the best practice. I do the same thing. A very inexpensive task for large piece of mind.

As for Lucas, I am a huge fan. I use it in all of my vehicles. No aircraft usage as of yet but I wouldn't be opposed to using it.

Amsoil was suggested to me very early on and have had excellent results with it.

What gear box are you using on your 582?

Thanks,
Yellowhammer
I have a “B” box @2.58

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always used Pennzoil "Outdoor" 2-stroke oil, which is what Rotax always recommended and I never had any problems. Now they recommend a list of things including Aeroshell Sport 2, which is probably the same thing as the Outdoor oil since Shell bought Pennzoil... but it may be discontinued? But at any rate, it must be an API-TC grade oil, NOT a TC-W3 oil which is a marine oil intended for lower temperatures. I don't think there is any advantage to synthetics in a 2-stroke despite all the hype.

Yellowhammer

I always used Pennzoil "Outdoor" 2-stroke oil, which is what Rotax always recommended and I never had any problems. Now they recommend a list of things including Aeroshell Sport 2, which is probably the same thing as the Outdoor oil since Shell bought Pennzoil... but it may be discontinued? But at any rate, it must be an API-TC grade oil, NOT a TC-W3 oil which is a marine oil intended for lower temperatures. I don't think there is any advantage to synthetics in a 2-stroke despite all the hype.

I agree about the synthetics. I am not sold on them either Although, some folks swear by them. I just don't have any experience with them to date.
I really like Aeroshell as well.

That's what we run in our Rotax four stroke and I have had great results with it.