50c/ft 4130

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by pictsidhe, Jul 30, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 30, 2019 #1

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Yes, that is correct. I just went to Wickes website to see how much 2 1/4 x 0.120 4130 is and ended up spending rather a lot of money. Mostly on 50c/ft 4130. Some I need, some I will probably need. A lot will probably handy some time... They seem to be pruning their inventory. Cheap sizes in 5/16 up to 2 1/14.

Have a look and fill your hoard!

FritzW likes this.
  2. Jul 31, 2019 #2

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Thanks for the heads up!

I just ordered a bunch from the sizes they still had in .035 and .049 (a lot of what they have left is pretty thick wall stuff)

I dread seeing what the shipping is going to cost ;)

3. Jul 31, 2019 #3

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

They had a few sizes of 028 at $1.05/ft. I worked out that I ordered 120lb of stuff. 4 sizes were short regular price bits I need from them anyway. I did ask them to cut it into sub 8' sticks so UPS doesn't kill me too messily. The heavier bits will be useful for the odd fittings rather than framework. At 50c/ft, I thought it would be worth having a 7'10" stick of each. The 2 1/4 x 0.120 works out around scrap metal price!

4. Jul 31, 2019 #4

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Maybe they are just pruning their Chinese inventory since American steel mills are back up and running.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  5. Jul 31, 2019 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

Pretty much purging the Chinese stuff. I think they do it a couple of times a year. I wish I had known on the way back from Oshkosh. It’s just a short detour to drop by and pick it up. Most of the thin stuff was bought up years ago.

6. Jul 31, 2019 #6

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Active Member HBA Supporter

I've heard pro's and con's on Wicks 4130 material . I've seen their prices and they are half the price or less than competition , knowing that the mtl. is Chinese material , is it a good quality product ? With the price of 4130 from other suppliers being what they are it makes buying a project more reasonable than building . I'm buying from Aircraft Spruce and it definately brings project cost up to the point of time to make a serious decision .

7. Jul 31, 2019 #7

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

They currently have both American/German and Chinese. Not a vast price difference.
    I find that they are cheaper on some sizes, but not all. I also bought some of their regular price stuff that I needed as it was cheaper than AS.
    I have a spreadsheet that I have entered prices from multiple suppliers. They are all over the place.
    Industrial metal sales has a limited range, but some great prices. They are favourite for 7075 spar caps.

8. Jul 31, 2019 #8

TFF

TFF

TFF

The Chinese stuff came in when Wicks bought the stock from Dillsberg a few years ago. Dillsberg had been selling a lot to race car people. Wicks has had a harder time selling it to the airplane people so they would like to move it. .120 stuff is pretty heavy duty; make a great roll cage for a race car.

9. Aug 1, 2019 #9

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

At 50 cents a foot who cares where it came from. It's still 1/4 the cost of "project pipe" from the box stores. I wouldn't build my dream airplane out of it but a lot of people have.

The only problem I have with it is the nasty black sludge they use for corrosion protection on the inside.

10. Aug 1, 2019 #10

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think some of the higher end clients complained. The Chinese stuff welded different enough that they were not happy with the quality of workmanship they were to sell. After some returns from those guys, they decided they did not want to fight the that fight. Like you said It would work just fine for me. I would have bought some long ago, but the sizes I needed were sucked up long ago. No Tailwind or Acey Ducey size tubes in cheap stock. That stuff was the first to go.

11. Aug 1, 2019 #11

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I spent $900 on 4130 CM at WagAero yesterday. Made in Germany.

12. Aug 1, 2019 #12

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Active Member HBA Supporter

Have ya decided what project you're going with Scrapper ? That's about what I was looking at for 4130 when I thought I wanted a complete new fuselage for the Smith . I've decided to work with one of the fuselages that I already have . Sure saving me a bunch that can go towards fabric or etc .

Little Scrapper likes this.
  13. Aug 2, 2019 #13

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Well, we'll use that term loosely haha. Post #72.
    https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/v-witt-witts-v.31685/page-4

14. Aug 9, 2019 #14

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

The big brown truck came today with two very heavy 95 1/2" long packages. It took Wicks longer to prep my order than for UPS to ground it from MO. 2 days, I was wondering if they'd air'ed it...
    Some of it looks really nice and is MIL standard, other stuff looks rougher, but at less than the cost of mild steel, I'm not complaining.

akwrencher likes this.
  15. Sep 18, 2019 #15

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

Plymouth Promoly is the only tube I will ever use. You should 2.