5 blade propeller template

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
A long time ago, I stumbled across a book on propeller carving that had a template for a 5 bladed propeller. I can't find it now, and I'm hoping one of the well read members here can point me to the right title, or author so I can acquire another copy ( I likely loaned the original book out, always a bad move...). Thanks!

TFF

I believe there some are pictures of three bladed Performance Propeller on the web during building. There are new owners.

davidjgall

A long time ago, I stumbled across a book on propeller carving that had a template for a 5 bladed propeller. I can't find it now, and I'm hoping one of the well read members here can point me to the right title, or author so I can acquire another copy ( I likely loaned the original book out, always a bad move...). Thanks!
I think you're looking for Al Schubert's book. Here's a link to a copy:

Look on "Page 67" which is page 94 in the first PDF above.

Last edited:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I think you're looking for Al Schubert's book. Here's a link to a copy:

Look on "Page 67" which is page 94 in the first PDF above.
Yes! That's the information I was thinking of. I really enjoyed the way theory and application are presented with simple to follow explanations. The layup and blade overlap at the hub on the 5 blade is exactly wht I'm needing. I knew I could count on getting the answer here. Thanks, David!
Photo of a 5 blade propeller made by Ed Sterba here 19 – Propeller Production Predicaments

Ed is a good guy. It may be useful for you to contact him. Google Sterba Propellers.

BJC
Looking at the hub, it appears to have a similar design of the overlaps on the layers. I'll reach out to Mr. Sterba to get the lowdown. Thanks!

BJC

HBA Supporter
I think he got hounded after an incident and just wants to be done with it all. :(
I judged landings of arriving airplanes at our fly-in a couple of weeks ago with Ed, 100 year old Jack, and one other local pilot. Ed said that he still is in business building propellers.

BJC

Last edited:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I judges landings of arriving airplanes at our fly-in a couple of weeks ago with Ed, 100 year old Jack, and one other local pilot. Ed said that he still is in business building propellers.

BJC
Well, that's another fly in I'll have to drive to....I hate having my landings judged!

davidjgall

I judged landings of arriving airplanes at our fly-in a couple of weeks ago with Ed, 100 year old Jack, and one other local pilot. Ed said that he still is in business building propellers.
I stand corrected. Darn second-hand info, it’s like a second-hand pair of shoes: worn out before you ever get to use it.

Is “100 year old Jack” Jack Norris by any chance? If so, please tell him hello for me next time you see him. Thanks.

I’ll try calling Ed another time now that I know he’s still at it. Thanks, again!