4A-084 teledyne engines for sale

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

singledadinmo2000

I have several of these engines, MIGHT put one on a Legal Eagle. Besides building a lightweight sump what did you do to get the weight down that low?
The oil pan you have to build a pick up tube when you replace it and we cut the cylinders and lightened the Pistons cut off the intake I think we even cleaned up the block some I think we took the tack drive out and anything else you did not have to have Richard Harris built the first prop hubs that I know of I bought and sold over 40 motors I can’t remember it’s been 10 years ago or longer

singledadinmo2000

You might get more takers if they didn't have to travel to Costa Mesa to pick them up. Even strapped to a pallet though, trucking costs may scare others away...
There used to be a Yahoo group devoted to this engine. Every once in a while, someone would hear about a pile of them released by the DoD as surplus and go load a trailer up with them, then stop at group members places, or meet them somewhere along the way to deliver an engine or two, and that worked out pretty well; but who's willing to make such a road trip with all the COVID: STAY AT HOME propaganda in full swing.
I hate to say it but that was probably May I was going to buy them and lots of 10 to 20 at a time and then sell them on the way home

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
To the OP, if you haven't, may want to try over on the lonesome buzzards forum. There are a few on there that are interested in using them in minimax.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
They're very interesting engines for sure, and it's probably a good thing you're a million miles from me, because my hangar has been collecting too many interesting projects. It would be cool to see just how low the weight could be using electronic ignition and fuel injection.

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
.....I’m building a Heath Super Parasol with the Verner 5V radial.....
Now that sounds interesting! You should consider starting a build thread. Or maybe post some pics. Is the fuse welded tube, wood, tube and gusset? More info please ;)

Lairdair

Now that sounds interesting! You should consider starting a build thread. Or maybe post some pics. Is the fuse welded tube, wood, tube and gusset? More info please ;)
It’s wood, tube and gussets. I’ve modified my build for the added HP. Fuse is 6” longer, 24” wide and added length to the cabanes for example. I’ll start my own thread. Thanks for the interest GeeZee.

pwood66889

"I built a carbon oil pan over a male mold the took 30 min to build, used hi temp resin. saved some weight for sure."
Would be interested in how that works out, Stan. Got a -042 (half -084) which could use a diet.

JohnB

HBA Supporter
"I built a carbon oil pan over a male mold the took 30 min to build, used hi temp resin. saved some weight for sure."
Would be interested in how that works out, Stan. Got a -042 (half -084) which could use a diet.
so would I ,would be REALLY interested in how accommodation was made to the oil pickup line that is cast into the inside of the original sump.

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
It’s wood, tube and gussets. I’ve modified my build for the added HP. Fuse is 6” longer, 24” wide and added length to the cabanes for example. I’ll start my own thread. Thanks for the interest GeeZee.
Thats great, I don’t want to hijack this for sale Thread so will wait until you start your build thread before I pepper you with questions!

singledadinmo2000

by the way I still have 2 sets of rings and some gaskits.I just gave away a 042.I was looking and I used a 30mm carb.we did a lot of testing on carbs.the 30mm worked best.

singledadinmo2000

Where `bouts are you, Singledadinmo2000? Missouri, maybe? Wouldn't mind those ring sets as they may fit a -042 I have.
I am in Springfield Missouri and if you need them I will gladly mail them to you for the cost of postage you can have the parts for free I just hate to see them go to waste

Creol

I have several of these engines, MIGHT put one on a Legal Eagle. Besides building a lightweight sump what did you do to get the weight down that low?
John, would you be willing to sell one of your 084's I would also pay for shipping? My project I'm working on is on hold until I can find one. Thanks in advance, Mike.