4A-084 teledyne engines for sale

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

stansusman

I have 4 or so 4a-084 engines for sale cheap including 2 NOS 1 in box, I would like to sell all to one buyer and willing to sell for less including parts etc.
Engines will go for 250 to 800 bucks but someone could have them all for $1200. maybe less. you pick up in Sourthern Cal or I could drop them off between there and northern Cal.
Stan 831-334-3035

stansusman

I have 4 or so 4a-084 engines for sale cheap including 2 NOS 1 in box, I would like to sell all to one buyer and willing to sell for less including parts etc.
Engines will go for 250 to 800 bucks but someone could have them all for $1200. maybe less. you pick up in Sourthern Cal or I could drop them off between there and northern Cal.
Stan 831-334-3035
test

don january

Log Member
I often wondered how the 4a-084 would do on the Taylor-mono plane ? If a person could get 48 hp at cruise it may just be the ticket other then weight. With the Diehl wing kit for KR-2 and long root spars it may handle weight fine as a single seat

crusty old aviator

Unless you built the airframes wicked light: pretty doggy.

HP of these little gems is in the low 40’s at 3600rpm. Try to get more and you’ll just ruin a lot of heads.

Adding SDS‘s EFI makes ‘em run a lot better, due to the long intakes between carb and heads, but adding electronic ignition isn’t much better than using the stock Slick mag.

They work well on small, single place replicas of 20’s/30’s designs, weighing about 120# with all the unneeded bosses, flanges, and shrouds, etc. removed. A Michigan machinist named Ohler makes prop hubs for them, for about $160.

Lairdair

I have a 4A084 complete engine with all the baffles. Also, new set of heads, jugs, pistons and rods still in the box. Plus a propeller hub turn out of aluminum billet made by Mr Scruggs of Oklahoma. I’ve decided to sell because I’m building a Heath Super Parasol with the Verner 5V radial. $1200 for everything. Located in Dallas tx.

singledadinmo2000

Unless you built the airframes wicked light: pretty doggy.

HP of these little gems is in the low 40’s at 3600rpm. Try to get more and you’ll just ruin a lot of heads.

Adding SDS‘s EFI makes ‘em run a lot better, due to the long intakes between carb and heads, but adding electronic ignition isn’t much better than using the stock Slick mag.

They work well on small, single place replicas of 20’s/30’s designs, weighing about 120# with all the unneeded bosses, flanges, and shrouds, etc. removed. A Michigan machinist named Ohler makes prop hubs for them, for about $160.
I built one about 15 years ago and I got it up to 48 hp by cleaning things up and I got to wait down to 103 pounds

JohnB

HBA Supporter
I built one about 15 years ago and I got it up to 48 hp by cleaning things up and I got to wait down to 103 pounds
I have several of these engines, MIGHT put one on a Legal Eagle. Besides building a lightweight sump what did you do to get the weight down that low?

JohnB

HBA Supporter
I have a 4A084 complete engine with all the baffles. Also, new set of heads, jugs, pistons and rods still in the box. Plus a propeller hub turn out of aluminum billet made by Mr Scruggs of Oklahoma. I’ve decided to sell because I’m building a Heath Super Parasol with the Verner 5V radial. $1200 for everything. Located in Dallas tx.
Got a contact # for Scruggs, ?? I need several hubs Thanks off list if you prefer jhb478 at yahoo

Toobuilder

Log Member
Not speaking for Stan here, but this is HIS "For Sale" thread. It's poor forum etiquette to try sell the same product in another man's thread.

Just sayin'

crusty old aviator

Got a contact # for Scruggs, ?? I need several hubs Thanks off list if you prefer jhb478 at yahoo
There’s a machinist in Nashville, MI named Ron Ohler who will make however many hubs you need. He's on Facebook, if you do that, or you can find his phone # online. A real nice man who flies UL's.

stansusman

Guys (and gals ?) not a single call on the 4A084s, hell I'll even give a easy pay plan, 2 new engines and 2 great runners for parts what an opportunity, these are proven long running reliable powerplants sporting 3 times the horsepower that the Wright bros flew the flyer with. No builders out there??? I was going to use these on my little push pull twin boomer based on a Q-2 fuselage, but but Pete Plums new o-100 will will breath more fire and save 40 pounds but these are very viable little mills.
Stan 831-334-3035 let me know if you want more history on the 4a-084s or even the new 0-100s I've spent many hours looking into both. Thanks, SS

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Not speaking for Stan here, but this is HIS "For Sale" thread. It's poor forum etiquette to try sell the same product in another man's thread.

Just sayin'
I agree. In the old west days, they’d hang a cowboy for trying to sell something in another cowboy’s internet thread.

crusty old aviator

You might get more takers if they didn't have to travel to Costa Mesa to pick them up. Even strapped to a pallet though, trucking costs may scare others away...
There used to be a Yahoo group devoted to this engine. Every once in a while, someone would hear about a pile of them released by the DoD as surplus and go load a trailer up with them, then stop at group members places, or meet them somewhere along the way to deliver an engine or two, and that worked out pretty well; but who's willing to make such a road trip with all the COVID: STAY AT HOME propaganda in full swing.

Last edited: