• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

4130 tang tensile strength

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radfordc

Guys, I have a question about a part that I need for my Eindecker replica. I am replacing the wing wires and need a steel tang to terminate the wires. The steel tang is 3" x .63" x .090. There is a 1/4" hole at each end of the tang with the hole center .315 from the edge of the tang. Distance between the edge of the the hole and the edge of the tang is .190"

The max gross weight of the aircraft is 600 lbs; wingspan is 28', chord is 58", area is 130 sq ft. At 4G the load is 2400 lbs total; the load on one wing is 1200 lbs supported by four 1/8" flying wires. The wire with the greatest load is the one at the forward outboard wing location. This location is 10.7' outboard from the centerline of the fuselage and 8" aft of the LE; the angle of the wire is 17 degrees between wire and wing.

My question is what is the approximate tensile load in this wire at 4G? And how much tensile load can the tang carry? I wish my math skills were better!

Back