40 + MPG Air and Auto Vehicles

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
We took a trip on Amtrak a few years ago. It was novel, relaxing, and scenic. Not especially economical, and there was nothing resembling a punctual schedule. We were about 12 hours late arriving at our destination after 3 days of travel.

It would be neat if you could drive your car (roadable airplane) on the train and ride across the country and sleep in your own car.
They actually had such a car transport service at Whittier, Alaska. The town was only accessible by rail.
You now share the Anton Anderson Tunnel with the train. There's a unique timing system that tells high efficiency flying car pilots/drivers when it's their turn to go through (see how I brought it back to the topic?).

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
That seems like your fault so why do you take it out on Amtrak ?

I am curious though ,do you go to the subway station to catch your flights?
It says Milwaukee airport but the bus departs a half mile from the airport terminal. (or it did then)

Attachments

• EEFEC3EE-EEF8-4C2E-98FD-9E8FF301F047.png
    EEFEC3EE-EEF8-4C2E-98FD-9E8FF301F047.png
    765.8 KB · Views: 0

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
We took a trip on Amtrak a few years ago. It was novel, relaxing, and scenic. Not especially economical, and there was nothing resembling a punctual schedule. We were about 12 hours late arriving at our destination after 3 days of travel.
That being late thing is because the freight railroads do not live up to their obligations to Amtrak. Amtrak is supposed to have priority over all other movements the railroads do not honor that portion of their commitment

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
How did you pull that off with an older 350cid V-8, let alone its gearing ratio? I'm genuinely curious. I had an old '77 way back when that could not get 11mpg if I tried...but it wasn't exactly set up for fuel economy.

My '23 model can get as much as 32mpg...but on a level highway with powertrain management software aplenty & 4 cylinders shut down at 75mph...
Chevette. "The other 'vette" IIRC from previous posts his was one of those Chevettes with an Isuzu diesel engine (spewing whatever it spewed, taking about half a minute to accelerate to the speed of everyone else on the highway). You know the kind...

Last edited:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
It would be neat if you could drive your car (roadable airplane) on the train and ride across the country and sleep in your own car.
They actually had such a car transport service at Whittier, Alaska. The town was only accessible by rail.
I planned to sleep in the car (actually a Doge camper van with wife and kids) on the overnight ferry across Lake Michigan returning from Oshkosh one year.
Once on board and under way we were informed that remaining in the vehicle was not allowed. It was the most miserable trip I have ever taken.

The passenger facilities were inadequate in capacity and comfort and the crew chased the overflow passengers from the cabin around the ship all night as they proceeded to wash the decks from stem to stern.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
Did you expect it to depart from the baggage carousel?

I’m not particularly familiar with Milwaukee but I can tell you I walked close to half a mile yesterday when I got on the train in Chicago at O’Hara
I expected the Amtrak bus to pick me up outside where the bus loading sign is. But they don’t. The Amtrak Milwaukee Airport bus station is a half mile away from the airport in the train station that is near the airport but not on the airport.

Pilot-34

I expected the Amtrak bus to pick me up outside where the bus loading sign is. But they don’t. The Amtrak Milwaukee Airport bus station is a half mile away from the airport in the train station that is near the airport but not on the airport.
well I can see the logic in that ,the thing to keep in mind is the Amtrak bus is almost always a replacement for a train so it usually runs from a train station.
Lol but yes I can see a plane guy thinking airport.

PMD

I just realized the subject of the thread is 40 mpg air and AUTO vehicles. Geez, we got there 50 years ago!!! I built up one 1200 Ghia for travelling to and from school that could reach easily to 34 imperial mpg (just over 40 US). Decades later, my wife's 2003 Jetta TDI wagon will knock off 47 US mpg at well over 80 mph and WAY better than that at 60. Her 2015 Q7 TDI will also reach that at highway speed (120 kph @ 8.5 litres/100 km). Best bud's 3.0 Suburban can also do that.

If we can make monster SUVs that get this kind of mileage, it is high time we made at least 2 place aircraft that can deliver those numbers.

cblink.007

Supporting Member
Chevette. "The other 'vette" IIRC from previous posts his was one of those Chevettes with an Isuzu diesel engine (spewing whatever it spewed, taking about half a minute to accelerate to the speed of everyone else on the highway). You know the kind...
Now that makes sense; post edited accordingly. I'll take my crow with some salt & pepper please!

I saw one of those things on a Price is Right rerun I caught the other night... 🤣

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
I built up one 1200 Ghia for travelling to and from school that could reach easily to 34 imperial mpg (just over 40 US).
An imperial gallon is about 1.2 US gallons, so 34 miles per imperial gallon would be about 28 miles per US gallon. Still very good, and the car was probably easy to maintain, too.

Current small cars can be a lot heavier than small cars of even 30 years ago, mostly due to safety changes. The modern cars are a lot safer in a crash, no doubt. But, IMO the visibility of the outside world is considerably worse in many modern cars. That's generally due to thicker door pillars (rollover protection, and to hold airbags), bigger headrests (esp in back) but also due to "styling".

Last edited:

PMD

An imperial gallon is about 1.2 US gallons, so 34 miles per imperial gallon would be about 28 miles per US gallon. Still very good, and the car was probably easy to maintain, too.

Current small cars can be a lot heavier than small cars of even 30 years ago, mostly due to safety changes. The modern cars are a lot safer in a crash, no doubt. But, IMO the visibility of the outside world is considerably worse in many modern cars. That's generally due to thicker door pillars (rollover protection, and to hold airbags), bigger headrests (esp in back) but also due to "styling".
I can't believe that!!!! We have been metric for so long, I inverted the US/Imperial calculation. Makes me shudder that I could have caused the Gimli Glider to happen!!!

I got the Ghia US/Imp just plain backwards, and a quick calc of tank size and trip length tells me it was actually better than what I quoted. The Jetta numbers are directly from US driving = 47 US at some illegal speeds. The Q7 numbers were quick calc backwards. Looking at its records, 8.7 was not its best at all, 7.7 was and is equal to a bit better than 36 imperial (same as the 3.0 Chevy gets) but is as you point out, would be 30 US, not 40.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

It’s funny my friends with 6 miles per gallon gas trucks don’t believe my friends with 20 miles per gallon diesel pick ups and they don’t believe my 20 miles per gallon F750 midsize truck………

I ran across a website devoted to super mileage one time ,these are guys that are getting 40 mile per gallon out of a regular gas pick up truck and guys with cars trying to get 100 miles per gallon.

cblink.007

Supporting Member
I remember those prototype DeltaHawk turbodiesels getting close to 3.5 gph up close to flight levels at 170 kts in the Velocity testbed. Too bad their decision to go full FAA certification costed them out of our sector of the aviation world. I am understanding their 200 hp model is expected to price well above $60k........when they finally offer it for sale.