40 + MPG Air and Auto Vehicles

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PMD

The biggest flaw in the interstate system is that we allow anything to cross over them at all.

For just a few dollars more we could have had a nationwide system where NOTHING passed over the highways..

Interstate highways are the one place that I believe roundabouts are justified.
Having been involved in a lot of moves in the 200 to 400 tonne range, I would say there are TWO significant shortcomings: the overpasses (but almost every overpass has a ramp off/ramp on provision) but the 80k bridge design limit. When General Ike and his merry band of strategists conceived the system, it was hard to imagine ANYTHING going down a highway over 40 tons. You simply gave it to the rail oligopolies to handle.

Now: have you ever watched North American drivers use a roundabout????? Would need a sea change in discipline, attitude and skills to be workable. Also, they would be a huge deterrent to use of LCVs. When we learn to run transportation better, you should expect to see "B" train triples and double 53s (we have them on some routes now) that should go forward to something approaching Ozzy road trains. Something NO BEV will ever be able to do unless half of their load is batteries. Yes, there IS an aviation tie-in here.

I am not sure how many people appreciate that one the THE keys to the post-war economy of USA is the Interstate system and the trucking business that uses it. Converseley: the death of it will come from the lawyers, regulators and financiers.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Think of a beltway size roundabout when it comes time for interstate interchanges and North Americans will handle it just fine.
Think of being able to move something 50 foot tall Coast a Coast without ever once having to leave the interstate!

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
There actually is such a thing, been around for a while, called a Fresh Breeze Flyke, it’s been on my (continuously growing) wish list for years now. There’s a few YouTube vids of it flying as well :)

Or more like this for better road performance/speed. There was a US manufactured version. Notice the derailleur for higher pedal performance.

Attachments

TFF

Roundabouts are pretty much a nightmare. There is a big interstate one I think in Louisiana. I believe the signs are terrible. If you want to see the nightmare go to Oshkosh. Just the worst.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Since I remember a lot of WW-2 , I'm old enough the remember when president Eisenhower and congress was talking about funding the interstate system.
Yes, at the time they were talking about moving the lanes apart every 75 miles for enough room for a 5K long grass emergency landing strip for airplanes. Finally decided that since the cost of the construction of the interstate system was almost beyond their comprehend, they need to try to keep the cost withing reason and the extra cost of the runways was forgot about.
At the time in 1954, when Eisenhower was elected, I was 14 years old and 6' and 195 lbs or so, I was driving as if I had a license. ( drove to the state capital to get new license plates for the car and I think it was before my 14th birthday). Finally at 15 years old I stopped by the county state police office ( I drove there) and got a learners permit. Never ask how old I was, just 2 state police in the county and one sheriff for law enforcement and I was far bigger than any of them. Went back a coupe weeks latter and was ask what was the speed limit in a school zone and drove around the block at the courthouse and pulled up the curb and he handed me my drivers license and got out. Remember seeing pictures of the future clover leaf on the future interstate and thinking, crap, that is so complicated I would get lost.

Last edited:

WonderousMountain

Geo Metro should have put a pitch black Experimental sign on the side. 30lb/in^3 AUW/Eng.Cap at common Revs is just not enough Power and would need back country roads. Some lessons from it follows.

Single A arm & strut has adequate road holding.
Four bolt wheel hubs are more or less stupid.
Keeping the Donut in the Wheelwell proved right.
If something is wearing your V belt, find out what.
A heavy weak material is a questionable choice in
A minimum weight transport.
Sitting cross legged improves occupant comfort.
Whoever chose the gear ratios does not get A vote.
Roof Rack attachment points would have been nice.

Hephaestus

Geo Metro should have put a pitch black Experimental sign on the side. 30lb/in^3 AUW/Eng.Cap at common Revs is just not enough Power and would need back country roads. Some lessons from it follows.
Well... My old firefly was a blast on the back country roads - but it wasn't used on those because it couldn't hold interstate speeds. We used to wring it out way past sane speeds rally style :) But that was the 3cyl turbo.

The pre-airbag versions are definitely featherweights even today - there's a couple with modern ecotec's that really haul due to the low curb weight.

Aesquire

Once upon a time...

Mileage records on a race track are unrealistic. So racing for economy on public roads was born.

The '82 winning bike had the cutouts for the landing gear, legs, to retract into, uncovered. That way when wind gusts roll/yaw the bike, the rider could stick out a knee & spoil the airflow, killing the lift. ( sideways ) The full streamliners tended to flop over on their sides and skid down the road. Hopefully.

There's a bunch of info on the scooter streamlining project ( using a then good & common at the time Honda ) out there.

It's the same basic design for getting great economy or land speed records.

Believe it or not there's serious competition in the tiny engine Categories.