40 + MPG Air and Auto Vehicles

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

I came up with an idea to solve this problem years ago and posted it on this forum. My Nobel Prize has not yet been delivered
Sort of like an even lighter version of the Maverick flying car. There was also some French micro car that was modified with a pusher propeller and basically a giant hang glider wing on top, which may be useable across a slightly broader range of road and flight conditions.

Victor Bravo

There's been all sorts of stuff that has been tried, and the Maverick actually works. But the idea I posted above is something that a person could achieve flight with, within 30 days of their decision and spending under $10,000. Starting with buying a used paramotor and canopy setup.

Having 40 pounds of bicycle weight added to the load carried by the canopy is not any sort of a problem, because the pilot no longer has to walk or run to get up to the (higher) flying speed. So if the extra weight of the rig requires more airspeed on takeoff and landing... the whole thing just rolls a little faster. No tripping, falling, face-planting.

Personal, affordable, SAFE roadable air vehicle that doesn't require a big hangar. For five or ten grand, and long-established COTS tech.

Did I mention it would meet Part 103?

mm4440

A three wheel flying motorcycle is the way to go. Some projects in Europe and Samson here. One of those challenges on edge of possibility.

PMD

Lol I think it was a 1981 Chevy Chevette I had that got 50 miles per gallon. One of the cheapest cars I think I’ve ever owned. And probably among the most reliable the only thing that kept it from having a perfect reliability record was when fueling well-meaning people and pump jockeys that would take the diesel pump hose out and replace it with a gasoline hose.
I suspect it would be even worse in an aircraft application!
Nahh....BIG round labels aroiund filler neck clearly stating Jet &/or Diesel as the case may be. Come to think of it: I can not remember the last time I ever let anyone else fuel my cars, trucks, boats or airplanes.

Aesquire

The Pal-V does the drivable Gyro concept pretty good, but I've got some serious inspiration from VB's concept.

The "hike and fly" paraglider guys sometimes carry a bike with them. The weight of the bike is less than some guys carry for ballast. ( yep, just like a sailplane, mass for more speed )

As a fairly experienced mountain biker, but with Ti/plastic knees now and a too long layoff, I can tell you the original Idea would work.

But for Me, I would need to take the weight off the pilot/rider. I'm working on the balance and "tender seat", but it's a bit slow. ( my bad )

The balance issue of landing and takeoff requires a fairly high skill level, on a regular bicycle. 15 years ago, I'd try it, but I'm not so steady today. In the interests of preserving testicular safety, Might I suggest a Tricycle?

Home - Bicycle Man

Or you can use an "Adult trike" with the single wheel up front. Which might be better for TO/Landing.

About $1300 added gets you a decent, not premium, electric drive unit. ( wholesale ) Adds a bunch a ton of weight though. File that under "extras" not needed to prove the design.

It's easier to strap yourself to a recumbent than a regular bike. While a custom frame would be lighter than a bracket system to hold the paramotor cage, it's not hard to figure out the proper positioning for brackets to hold everything in the proper relationship, and the suspension arms used on a foot launch PPG are much simpler for a trike chassis, since you don't have to get everything so compacted front to rear for proper balance. All the trike chassis geometry stuff applies nicely. And the same techniques for setup apply. Hang from the suspension carabiners and move stuff ( including the hang point ) around until it hangs nose up, but not too much.

One question is steering. If 2 wheels works for you, then...

Rans Rocket Recumbent Bike - Bicycle Man

You can install foot pegs, ( folding or removeable ) on the front axle, steer like a "regular Weight shift trike" and fold/stow the handlebars, until after landing and packing up the wing.

I have to do some math.... ( bank account )

Aesquire

I really liked my VW '09 Sportwagen TDI. Real world all around 36+ MPG. That's legit, I got better in summer, better on highway, a solid 40 mpg @ 70 mph on cruise control. Awesome handling, torque to love. It took a very steep mountain road to force the 2 liter engine to downshift, and the dual clutch transmission was a joy. With 2 caveats. They work terrible on an offroad vehicle, and without a "cheater" black box the "manual" mode was really just your suggestion, as the computer had the attitude that it knew better than you did. ( which was probably true for most people, including me )

I wouldn't recommend a modern German car unless you intend to trade when the "we cover everything" 3 year bit runs out, as repairs are Really expensive, and because the weak points include biodegrading wire insulation and Complex Emissions controls, they are basically time bombs for your wallet.

Consumer reports says that the Mercedes G class will cost you about $55,000 for repairs, presumably over the typical patience limit of a rich owner. And that it WILL break isn't even a question. BMW & Mercedes both have issues with gaskets that they never fixed and require Lots of Hours of labor to get to. And plastic parts that simply die over time, drive it or not, that are in the induction and cooling system.

I'm not saying anyone else Doesn't have these problems, Every car today has to pack the working bits and complex emissions controls under the hood. My new Toyota is a plumbing nightmare with 2 separate sets of fuel injectors ( 8 on a 4 cylinder ) and big Orange High Voltage busses & cables interwoven. Even the Toyota loyalists will tell you it's an expensive car to fix with expensive parts, but they don't break often... Which might be self delusion, but I hear it a lot.

Highplains

A guy I worked with at a couple companies built a motorcycle for a mileage event while he was in college. The challenge was to go 55 MPH on 4 Oz of gasoline, so he built a streamliner out of fiberglass with a 125 cc engine, tall gearing, and the carburetor from a 50 cc engine. He managed a bit over 17 miles (around 550 mpg) and came in second. Not a practical vehicle because it require a couple people to launch it and a couple to catch it or it would fall over.

Hawk81A

The Chevy (diesel) Chevette and the Chevy LUV (diesel OR gas) were both ISUZU powered. Chevy also offered the Sprint (mid 80s) and then the Geo Metro (both Suzuki made) and those got 50 MPG or better. Interestingly, there are aircraft using those engines.
The risk factor of driving a "powered beer can", well, some of us drive motorcycles too. MOST people who drive cycles or even small cars think WE'RE nts because we fly airplanes (or in my case used to).
Personally, I would be most concerned about a minor fender bender damaging my flying parts (wings etc). Dennis

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
The Pal-V does the drivable Gyro concept pretty good, but I've got some serious inspiration from VB's concept.

The "hike and fly" paraglider guys sometimes carry a bike with them. The weight of the bike is less than some guys carry for ballast. ( yep, just like a sailplane, mass for more speed )

As a fairly experienced mountain biker, but with Ti/plastic knees now and a too long layoff, I can tell you the original Idea would work.

But for Me, I would need to take the weight off the pilot/rider. I'm working on the balance and "tender seat", but it's a bit slow. ( my bad )

The balance issue of landing and takeoff requires a fairly high skill level, on a regular bicycle. 15 years ago, I'd try it, but I'm not so steady today. In the interests of preserving testicular safety, Might I suggest a Tricycle?

Home - Bicycle Man

Or you can use an "Adult trike" with the single wheel up front. Which might be better for TO/Landing.

About $1300 added gets you a decent, not premium, electric drive unit. ( wholesale ) Adds a bunch a ton of weight though. File that under "extras" not needed to prove the design.

It's easier to strap yourself to a recumbent than a regular bike. While a custom frame would be lighter than a bracket system to hold the paramotor cage, it's not hard to figure out the proper positioning for brackets to hold everything in the proper relationship, and the suspension arms used on a foot launch PPG are much simpler for a trike chassis, since you don't have to get everything so compacted front to rear for proper balance. All the trike chassis geometry stuff applies nicely. And the same techniques for setup apply. Hang from the suspension carabiners and move stuff ( including the hang point ) around until it hangs nose up, but not too much.

One question is steering. If 2 wheels works for you, then...

Rans Rocket Recumbent Bike - Bicycle Man

You can install foot pegs, ( folding or removeable ) on the front axle, steer like a "regular Weight shift trike" and fold/stow the handlebars, until after landing and packing up the wing.

I have to do some math.... ( bank account )
The three wheel bike and Paramotor combination was done about 20 years ago and available on the market, As in it was not vaperware.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Nahh....BIG round labels aroiund filler neck clearly stating Jet &/or Diesel as the case may be. Come to think of it: I can not remember the last time I ever let anyone else fuel my cars, trucks, boats or airplanes.
Lol won’t work!Three times we put bigger labels on it ! We never once had anybody else fuel them but when we turned our back particularly on the Chevette even for one second helpful people would change the hose! lol

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
1,800 will do it for me! Pops only needs 350 though 😂
Every Interstate highway on and off ramp could have one of those.

In my area the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense controlled-access highways (Interstate Highway System - Wikipedia) has been covered over with signs, lights and cameras to explain the then current use fee and to take photos of the vehicle and license for toll enforcement purposes.

Hey big brother, I'm over here. :popcorn:

Is there an emoticon that replaces the beer with a gun? :) ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

Caution:
I can see a lot of thread drift coming and diverting to far into politics. Any further comments on the enemy within should be posted to the "Thread Drift" pages.

Last edited:

Mark Z

I know that my T-210 gets better mileage than most 5th wheel RVs or motor coaches. And, the tires are much cheaper! (However, I don’t look nearly as cool showing up.)

JayKoit

I came up with an idea to solve this problem years ago and posted it on this forum. My Nobel Prize has not yet been delivered, nor has my cover story in Scientific American, Popular Mechanics, or Time magazine. Ingrates...

Take a decent, more durable model of road bike. Weld (or bond) four or six attach tabs onto the frame. Modify a paramotor harness to include straps attaching the bike frame as well as the pilot. Rig up some sort of a basket or a rack to hold the folded canopy.

Starting in front of your house, you get on the bike with the power unit on your back, but the canopy folded in the basket. You ride your powered road bike to an open space or even the local airstrip.

Unfold the canopy, hook up the risers, get back on the bike, and take off as a paramotor with the pilot still sitting on the bike seat. Fly around at 30-40 mph as a paramotor, over to the next town. Chances are you will do so at a fairly respectable miles per gallon number.

Look down at the tragic, unwashed, pitiful souls honking their horns on a gridlocked freeway.

Land at your destination (on the bike wheels, no twisted ankles or knees blown out), fold up the canopy into the basket, and have the power unit on your back push your bike down the road in to town. When you get to your job, roll the bike and the power unit into the parking garage and run a cable bike lock through everything and walk in to your office.

No it's not an Escalade or a Ferrari, and no it's not a folding switchblade sleek Jetsons machine. But everything described above is COTS stuff you can buy now. No miracle batteries, no renderware, no venture capital. the FAA sees, accepts, and somewhat understands powered parachutes, far more than they accept or understand eVTOL. So you have a far far better chance of being able to test and demonstrate this compared to a solar/fracking/cosmic ray powered multi-copter.
There actually is such a thing, been around for a while, called a Fresh Breeze Flyke, it’s been on my (continuously growing) wish list for years now. There’s a few YouTube vids of it flying as well :)

Attachments

Mike von S.

Wasn’t that one of the goals of the Eisenhower Interstate System? To have straightaways strategically placed for military aircraft emergencies?
Hate to veer off into the political, but my understanding is that the emergencies anticipated involved domestic insurrection. The gov wanted to be able to land military aircraft anywhere in the country to suppress revolt.

BJC

HBA Supporter

Mike von S.

So we should believe the Department of Transportation (itself a federal agency) on the question of why no overpasses and no crossing transmission lines for wide stretches?

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
The biggest flaw in the interstate system is that we allow anything to cross over them at all.

For just a few dollars more we could have had a nationwide system where NOTHING passed over the highways..

Interstate highways are the one place that I believe roundabouts are justified.